PC Modem Disconnects When Phone Line is Activated

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am still using dial-up as my main source of Internet access. I use a PCI SoftV92 Modem hooked up to a home phone line. This is the only line into my house, I have a slitter plugged into the line, with two ports, one has a line plugged in that is connected to the modem on my PC, the other has a line that connects my telephone. The telephone is a dual-system, it has a cordless phone and a base phone (not cordless).

My modem worked normal with my phone ever since I had my PC. Normally, when the modem was connected and one would lift the phone off the hook, you would hear the various noises of the Remote computer on the other end. If someone called while the Modem connection was active, they would hear a busy signal.

Recently, I had to reformat my HD. So of course I had to reinstall windows. So of course I had to reinstall the drivers for my modem.
This was about 5 days ago. Ever since, if someone lifts the phone of the hook, the modem will automatically disconnect. This is true with both the cordless phone and the base phone. If someone calls, they still get the busy signal and the modem does not disconnect, but if someone lifts the phone of the hook or turns the cordless phone on (like one would do to get a dial tone) noises can still be heard from the phone, but the modem disconnects.

I have searched through the various settings on Internet Properties, modem options, connection settings and stuff like that on my PC.

The phone does not seem to be doing thing out of the ordinary, and the only thing that has changed recently is the reinstallation of the OS and drivers.
I am guessing it is some sort of setting that I haven;t been able to detect yet.

So to be clear:
Internet worked fine beforehand,
now, when phone is picked up, modem disconnects
if someone from outside calls, they get busy signal, and modem does not disconnect.

any advice would be great thanks.

Disconnect all splitters and phone lines except one for your computer. Make sure you disable call waiting and see what happens

Sorry, I forgot to mention that detail in my original post,
Obviously, when the splitter is out, and the phone is not plugged in, it works fine
since the phone is not plugged in, one obviously can not open the line by picking up the reciever.

I did hook an extra phone up to the splitter to see if my primary phone cut it off. I was able to discern dial tones in both phones when they were both of the hook.

EDIT: I do not have call waiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back