PC monitoring software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quantex_rox

I need some free pc monitoring software, i believe some of my sister's friends have been screwing with my computer (they don't realize how much money my computer cost, and how powerful and delicate it is at the same time...newbs). I need free software to log and monitor my computer and everything viewed/edited/keys punched. Or could i get some software that locked down my computer until i put a password on it (the found a way around the windows password.)

Did you put a password on the Admin account. Usually that is the mistake people make, they put a password on the user account but not the Admin.

Then how they get around it is to boot into Safe mode by tapping F8 before windows loads, then they log into the unprotected admin account, from there you can do anything, including delete passwords, change passwords, ect, on all of the user accounts.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

In addition there many monitoring programs for parental control that you can use, just google for parental monitoring software

----------------

You could also install a keylogger if you wanted to trace every stroke they hit on your computer. Be careful with this option though to make sure it's not malicious and sending those strokes through a backdoor to somebody on the other side of the world

Quantex_rox said:
I need free software to log and monitor my computer and everything viewed/edited/keys punched. Or could i get some software that locked down my computer until i put a password on it (the found a way around the windows password.)
Key loggers is NOT the way to secure your system.
First, use your Admin Login (boot into safe mode if necessary) and change all passwords.
If you want to ensure a password cracking program can not reveal the passwords,
make sure to use 15 or more characters, both Upper-n-Lower case,
include one or more digits and one or more special chars, eg #*@_+=

Second, add a password to the BIOS to block others from rebooting using a CD

Record your new Admin and BIOS passwords and put them away in a safe place!

Third, make all logins Limited Accounts so they can't modify the system.

Lastly, to verify that the system has not been changed without your knowledge,
query google for Windows IDS (that's an Intrusion Detection System).
If you're really paranoid on this issue, you can even two-step into a Linux
runtime to run Tripwire (an IDS)
  1. download and install Cygwin
  2. find the Tripwire site and download the src
  3. run the Linux install process (eg Configure; make; make install)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back