PC noisy on startup, no icons on desktop

terry5880

Hi all for ages now on my pc which im on now when i click power button i get like a mad grinding noise and i have to turn off and on 3 times then it stops its allways 3 times and sometimes i have nothing on the desktop no icons so i have to click restart button to get it all ok. i have done mem test which is fine and chkdsk fine maleware is o virus scan 0

"i get like a mad grinding noise"...

This could be from a fan, or the hard drive itself. Open the case and inspect all fans. Make sure that the inside is clean and free of massive dust

yea i clean it once a week even thought not needed im thinking hard drive as on start on desktop most of time when doing this i have nothing no icons there till i press reset button i will listen tomorrow and while its doing it ill unplug fans 1 at time see if them if not then prob harddrive what do you suggest

You can unplug the hard drive (data and power) and when you turn on the PC it should still post but then will return an error message about not finding a hard drive. That's okay because you only want to see if you hear the noise. If you do, it's not the hard drive.

If the hard drive was making that kind of noise, the PC probably wouldn't boot. My guess would be the power supply fan or the CPU fan

Back