PC not booting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey there I am at my parents checking out there pc. First off it is a Gateway GT4024. It has a Intel Pentium D processor, 250GB harddrive, 1GB of ram, and a Biostar GeForce 7600 256MB video card installed. It is also running Windows Vista Home Edition. Anyways my parents called me this morning and told me last night they heard the fans start spinning really fast and loud. After that the pc will seem to power on but the harddrive indicator light blinks a couple times and stops. I dont hear the the harddrive spin up so it might be done. Right now I can hear the fans running normal right now but the monitor doesnt come on. Any advise would help. Thanks for your time.

I would check all the connections. Something may have come unplugged, though I doubt it. It sounds like the HD may have gone to HD Heaven. Do you have a spare one you can stick in to test?

I'd say it was an overheating problem with something possibly burned out. It could be the graphics card, northbridge, CPU or power supply, whatever has a cooling fan. Open the case and check for dust clogging and make sure all the fans of the components listed above are operating. Going by the sound of the fans alone isn't precise enough.

If everything seems to be okay with no obvious suspects, you will have to start testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back