PC not supporting fx5200

Status
Not open for further replies.
recently purchased fx5200 256MB AGP video card, but whenever i try to play any game, my PC hangs out or restarts. I tried putting this video card on other computers and it worked fine. Is there any problem with my PC.

My system's configuration is - P III - 1.13 GHz, 512MB SDRAM, 815 chipset.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Is you psu powerful enough?

Take a look at this PSU Wattage Calculator. Add another 30% to whatever figure it gives you, as a safety margin.

If it turns out not to be a psu problem, we`ll see what else we can come up with.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Have you uninstalled the previous drivers properly, and then installed the new ones?

With the old card in place, uninstall the drivers for it. Then run cleane program to remove any traces of it. Shutdown, install new card, boot and install the new drivers. you should now be good to go.

Hope this helps :)

thanks for replying, but i don't think its a PSU problem
My system's PSU is a Techcom's 350W power supply
the specs are
AC Input- 220/110VAC 50/60Hz 2/4A

DC output Max. +3.3V 14A, +5V 20A,+12V 10A, -5V 0.5A,-12V 0.5A,+5VSB 2A

Your psu is only putting out 10amps on the 12volt rail, this might be a problem.

What did the psu wattage calculator say you needed?

Did you try Mr Garibaldi`s suggestions?

Regards Howard :)

When the PC suddenly reboots like that after installing new upgrade it's most likely a straiining PSU as Howard suggests. 12VRail at 10amps isn't much at all. How many HDD, optical drives, fans do you have? Your 350W Techcom is a generic piece of crap (from now on known as POC), so the 350W is more like 245W or 70% of the label rating.

With that being said I too had initial probs with the Fx5200. It was the drivers and had to roll back to 79.xx release to make it work and of course update my chipset drivers from the mobo website. BUT I never had my PC reboot on me because of the driver prob. That PC is now the kids PC and is running fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back