PC only displays from a cold boot

By Lammy
Feb 13, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This is my first post on here, long time listener, first time caller etc so hello to everyone :D I have a annoying problem thats been bugging me for a few days now

I built a PC for my cousin last week but have had one very annoying problem:

- The first time i switch on the PC its perfectly fine, everything is normal, no temperature spikes nothing at all wrong.

- When i switch it off/shut down the pc and turn it on the second time the screen goes all funny and the display is all buggered and wonky and stuff.

- The wonkiness/glitchy screen happens on start up even before windows loads up and will continue to happen.

- The only way to fix this is to unplug/switch off the power at the source (wall socket or extension lead) where it will go back to normal.

Now i have tried it with another monitor and the same thing happens so can only assume it isn't the monitors problem, i was thinking more along the lines of faulty gfx card/motherboard or psu! but can't seem to narrow it down.

Specs are:
    - MSI 6800GS 256MB GDDR3 TV + DVI PCI-E
    - Asus A8N-E mobo
    - Amd athlon 64 3700 San Diego (i think)
    - PSU is a Hiper Type R 580W
    - AOpen Nouveau Midi Tower Case
    - Western Digital Caviar Special Edition 200GB
    SATA-II 8MB Cache Hrad drive
    - Windows XP Home editon

Any ideas on what else i can do to pinpoint this problem or what the problem could be? Any thoughts to help solve this problem would be much appreciated.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.