PC only displays from a cold boot

By Lammy
Feb 13, 2006
  1. This is my first post on here, long time listener, first time caller etc so hello to everyone :D I have a annoying problem thats been bugging me for a few days now

I built a PC for my cousin last week but have had one very annoying problem:

- The first time i switch on the PC its perfectly fine, everything is normal, no temperature spikes nothing at all wrong.

- When i switch it off/shut down the pc and turn it on the second time the screen goes all funny and the display is all buggered and wonky and stuff.

- The wonkiness/glitchy screen happens on start up even before windows loads up and will continue to happen.

- The only way to fix this is to unplug/switch off the power at the source (wall socket or extension lead) where it will go back to normal.

Now i have tried it with another monitor and the same thing happens so can only assume it isn't the monitors problem, i was thinking more along the lines of faulty gfx card/motherboard or psu! but can't seem to narrow it down.

Specs are:
    - MSI 6800GS 256MB GDDR3 TV + DVI PCI-E
    - Asus A8N-E mobo
    - Amd athlon 64 3700 San Diego (i think)
    - PSU is a Hiper Type R 580W
    - AOpen Nouveau Midi Tower Case
    - Western Digital Caviar Special Edition 200GB
    SATA-II 8MB Cache Hrad drive
    - Windows XP Home editon

Any ideas on what else i can do to pinpoint this problem or what the problem could be? Any thoughts to help solve this problem would be much appreciated.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.