how could I tell if my pc was overheating? it just suddenly shut down as if I had switched the power off, but it's working fine now- touch wood. I figure there has to be a reason and thought of overheating. I'm not in a very hot room and I can't smell anything odd.presumably it shuts down if it gets too hot. thank you if you can help I'm running xp and it's a generic computer with an Athalon chip and 1gig of ram, the whole thing inc fan and psu is only about 18onths old how can I find out how hot the board etc is?