PC power up but wont boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

edddder

during start up, i notice that the pc only powers up and i can also hear the HD is running but it doesn't boot up. what seems to be the problem?
tech experts need help here...

thanks

What does the BIOS POST (Power On Self Test) report? Can you repost with that information please.

thanks for the reply

i could not get the bios post since no output also on the monitor. these are the things i have notice during start-up:
1. CPU fan OK
2. I can hear that HD is running
3. NO beeping sound
4. PC led all lit (green and red)
5. NO output in the monitor
so far these are the i have observed

I am going to let others post there thought, but that could be the mother board going out. Hope not

Video card? Monitor?
Brand and model, age? OS, how is it used?
This problem can be caused by lots of problems, and the motherboard is the least likley... video driver, video graphics card, memory, infestation, bad hard drive, bad CMOS battery...

its just used at home (mainly on games, not so heavy games)
AMD athlon 3000+
asrock S939 sata motherboard
western digital 80GB sata
sapphire X300se PCIE
2x 256mb geil ram
all parts are almost 2 years

edddder said:
its just used at home (mainly on games, not so heavy games)
AMD athlon 3000+
asrock S939 sata motherboard
western digital 80GB sata
sapphire X300se PCIE
2x 256mb geil ram
all parts are almost 2 years

and by the way OS is windows XP SP2

I'm having the same problem also, but it seems I'm able to get to BIOS but after changing settings and saving and rebooting I get the same thing witht he PC Booted but the Monitor not working.

I'm having a problem with a new Asus P5K3 motherboard, it intermitently shows a BIOS checksum error or there is no video startup even though the system seams to be running (all fans running and all LEDs showing proper values).

If I reset the CMOS (jumper/battery) the system boots to an unconfigured BIOS. I set the correct parameters and save the settings. When the system reboots it reports BIOS checksum errors. I've followed the Crashfree reload of BIOS to only go through the same cycle of failure.

System is:

ASUS P5K3 Deluxe WiFi Motherboard
2GB Corsair DDR3 XMS3-1333 Memory
Intel QX6700
EVGA 8800gtx Superclocked
Corsair 620 watt modular power supply
2 - WD 150GB Raptor SATA drives in RAID 0

Any ideas????

Do you have a floppy drive? If so, boot to Windows 98 Startup disc or MS-Dos,and see if you still have the Check-Sum problems.

Check-Sum errors can be caused by failed hard drive, memory module, video graphics, or infestation. Try removing as many components as possible, rebooting after each one... getting down to one memory module, and so on.

If no POST beeps, do the following:
Disconnect everything on the motherboard except the speaker and the power cables, including the other front panel connectors, video card and memory.
Reboot - PSU runs and CPU fan runs but no beeps = board is dead
Beeps? Power off and fit the RAM -reboot.
Beeps? Power off and refit the video card - reboot
One beep? Reconnect the hard drive and reboot
and keep going until you find what stopped it.

AlbertLionheart said:
If no POST beeps, do the following:
Disconnect everything on the motherboard except the speaker and the power cables, including the other front panel connectors, video card and memory.
Reboot - PSU runs and CPU fan runs but no beeps = board is dead
Beeps? Power off and fit the RAM -reboot.
Beeps? Power off and refit the video card - reboot
One beep? Reconnect the hard drive and reboot
and keep going until you find what stopped it.

Thank you all guys, i just found out the problem, it was my video card that was not properly inserted in the slot.

My THANK YOU to TEDSTER, i just followed his guideline on "Tutorial: NO POST / Power General troublshooting". it helps a lot. understanding the beeps and what it means, specialy in tracing the problematic component if no post occurs.

My THANK YOU to ALBERTLIONHEART for the additional elaboration on no post in the step by step in determining the problem.

it surely adds to my little knowledge about computer

Thanks all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back