PC powers up, but no signal to monitor

So my PC was left turn off for 2 months while I was away. When I turned it on again for the first time it loaded up and I got to desktop, no problem.But there was a loud rattling coming from inside it. I would guess it was coming from the powersupply but i'm not 100%. I turned it off, later that day I turned it back on and it did not work.

The power supply comes on, all the fans are spinning but there is no signal to the monitor. Plugging in a key board and pressing the caps lock key, it does not light up telling me that its not getting as far as the login screen.

The only friend I have who knows about computers is long distance, I described the problem to him, he thinks the power supply is not producing enough power and needs replacing. I have checked everything inside to make sure nothing has come lose from it being moved around and it all looks good.

I'm a student and do not have a lot of money to buy parts or pay for a shop to fix. I'm pretty sure its the power supply but just wanted some opinions on what it could be or how I can test to find out whats wrong exactly. I don't have another desktop or any spare parts, just a laptop. Thanks.

Hi Aruk, i've had this myself a few times. Most of the time it was my fault for not wiring my pc back together properly but since you say it wasn't touched then it sounds like you're psu might have given up.

If you had a spare to test it you'd be able to see but if thats a no option then all you can do is make sure you're leads are all in correctly ( if you have a graphics card make sure it hasn't poped out of the motherboard slightly ) and then just keep trying matey.

First, try to unplug all the cables at the back of the CPU, then, remove the memory cards inserted on the motherboard. After that, lightly scratch the tip of the card (the gold part) by an eraser. Then, bring them all back to set and boot up your PC.

-------------------------------------------------------
if it still can't help, try this one:

remove your PSU and replace it by another one, or insert another memory card (you can borrow from your friends) ... just for a test,

hope it helps

If your PC has a dedicated graphics card, and on-board graphics, remove your dedicated graphics card and try to boot it.

It could be a PSU, but it also could be a graphics card. Does the PC sound like its loading normally (e.g. can you hear the hard drive working away as if its loading something?)

If all your getting is the fans power up, and absolutely no activity from the hard drives then its likely your psu is knackered for some reason.

Are there any PCs you can borrow the psu from? You'll be able to quickly hook it up and then check to see if it runs then...

Back