PC Prob..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Titanxtrm

I took parts I had from a previous build and put them in a different case. Everything worked fine from it, but now it doesn't seem to want to work. When powered on, the cpu fan runs, the motherboard lights up, I can access the bios but it shows no hd or cdrom. The pc fan and cdrom show no signs of life. I have checked all the cables several times making sure they are connected correctly and not damaged, but they still don't seem to work. The cdrom worked the first couple boots, but after that nothing. All these parts worked together fine before so I'm not sure what the problem could be. Is it a power issue, the motherboard or just a dead drive?

It may be a power issue. What are all the parts that are attached to your machine? If you have stuff that's relatively power hungry, a.k.a. a graphics card, high end processor...that sort of thing...then it's likely that the power supply that came with the tower you put it in isn't powerful enough to run everything.

I have a cdrom, hd, a ati radeon 9800 pro and a amd athlon 64 3400+, no other cards or drives in it. It all ran fine together before.

Have you tried another power supply? It may just be that the power supply is dying. And have you double checked the power connections to all your parts? Make sure that the 20+4 power cord is plugged into the motherboard correctly.

I don't have another psu to try with. I believe I will unhook all the cables and reconnect everything from the beginning just to make sure I have it all set right. If that doesn't work I will try to get my hands on another psu and get back with the results.

Did you use standoffs when you put the motherboard into the new case?

Unless the motherboard tray has built-in standoffs, bumps stamped into the metal, or something similar, your motherboard could be shorting to the case. Some cases do have built-in standoffs so it's not automatically the problem but you should check.

^^^^ This is correct. There's also a possibility that the screws are on too tight and that's causing a short as well.

I put the standoffs in and reconnected everything but Im still having the same problems. I decided to take both the cdrom and the case fan and connect them to a bigger psu in a different unit one at a time, but neither still work. The fan is brand new, seems kinda odd that both could be bad, but I guess not impossible

Did you connect the P4 12V power connector to the motherboard? Did you change the positions of any IDE devices on the IDE cable relative to their jumper settings?

I got it fixed, I tried the power supply on another pc, it worked fine so it wasn't the power supply at all. Turns out that it was just a dead cdrom drive and fan. I must've shorted them or something somehow or just bad luck, but it's all good now and thanks for all the help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back