PC randomly shuts off

Sotobeh

K so I have a new pc. Built myself and had a few problems getting it to turn on. Turns out I had to short two means that aren't even the power connector ones. Anyway I got everything setup, Windows 7 blah blah. I move it to my room from kitchen, cause kitchen had better lighting for working conditions. I turn it on and bam, it shuts off after maybe 7-15 minutes. Now I'm thinking it could be cpu over heating. It is hotter in my room. I left the computer on bios and slowly watched cpu temp climb. At about 39C it shuts off. Is that an over heating temp? It sits at that for a while before it shuts off. I haven't updated drivers yet, could that be a problem?

Build:
Cpu: Intel i7 3770
Psu: kingwin 750w
Motherboard: asus p8z77 - v lx
Gpu: radeon hd 7970

I also took off the heat sink after getting frustrated and taking everything apart when it wouldn't start, did that mess with the thermal paste? It looks evenly applied. When it shuts off, it's just off, no warning.

Please help

Take out graphics card and try again. Also, what do you mean by "Turns out I had to short two means that aren't even the power connector ones."

Update. It still shut off after taking it out. Is there anything in the bios that could be causing this?

Check your bios.To make sure. The settings for thermal shutdown are not turned on. Some bios have a setting in them, That allow you to set the temp to a certain point where the computer will shutdown.

Check to make sure memory voltages and speeds are correct. Motherboards usually don't have an issue configuring CPU settings (at least not in my experience), they usually don't setup memory settings. If you have multiple DIMM's try just using one.

I'm new to computer building, so not much bios experience but asus has a nice Interface even in advanced mode. Any idea on a general place I should be looking?

20130404_082458.jpgJust sitting there, menacingly! So I removed one ram stick, gonna see if it still shuts down. The frequency was set to auto so I made it 1600MHz cause that's what it is supposed to be

As far as cpu configuration here is what it looks like. Any of this what you were talking about?

Edit. It just shut off with one ram stick. I swore I just saw something about Intel thermal monitoring, is that what I need to disable? 20130404_082656.jpg

How long does it take for it to shut down usually? Edit: switch the DIMM's out to see if that will help. I looked through the motherboards BIOS updates and alot of them seem to fix system stability issues. Can you see if you can update the BIOS if you havent already?

I think I tried to update bios but it might have shut off while I was doing that lol. Switched ram already. Something else I noticed, whenever it shuts off on its own, all the bios settings I had get reset. But looking at the cpu temp, could that be something? I don't think 39c is overheating temp.

If your BIOS resets every time then it might be a bad motherboard. BIOS settings are supposed to stick until you manually change or reset them yourself regardless of system stability/issues with hardware.

Is there anyway I can test to be sure of this. When I was setting up windows. It never shut down like this. I mean it shuts down while I'm in bios so idk.

Oh ya. So labeled on the mobo, it tells you where all the front panel connectors go, the power switch, reset switch, power led, etc. Well when I first put it together it wouldn't turn on. So after my friend left, I took everything apart and tried the most basic boot. Still didn't work, so I did the paper clip test to make sure my psu worked. It did. So I wanted to test my mobo this way. Some guy said if you can short the two pins where your power switch goes then maybe your front panel connector is shot. Didn't work, but then I started to try shorting other pins around it, I hit two pins diagonal to the power switch ones and it turned on. After a while, the pins meant for the power switch started to work. I can take a picture if you wanna take a look at which pins they are.

Those three that are at the end of the screw driver. The closest two are the ones I can short to turn it on. 20130404_092608.jpg

Let me take you thru the steps.
Turn on mobo with pins
1beep from speaker letting me know everything checks out ok
Go to bios
Change a few settings to see if it fixes anything
Go to windows
Mess around. Maybe restart it a few times (not a genuine windows copy)
After restarting it normal power button works
Let it sit there, watch temp changes (nothing drastic)
Download a few programs
get pissed once it shuts off
go on tablet to see if anyone posted on here
Repeat

As far as cpu configuration here is what it looks like. Any of this what you were talking about?

Edit. It just shut off with one ram stick. I swore I just saw something about Intel thermal monitoring, is that what I need to disable? View attachment 75778

Yes try disabling it and see if the computer stays on after that. Maybe the problem,

Back