PC Running very slow...can anyone help?

By dcuk9
Oct 18, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi,

My PC has gradually over time been running slower and slower, and the usual slow start up has been getting worse and worse. A friend told me about 'Hijackthis' and said if I posted a thread with the log file, someone would perhaps be able to see whats slowing my PC up.

I also have Norton 360 Internet Security which does a great deal of slowing up in the middle of games, anyone know a good anti-virus which does not slow things down as much! I'm fed up of playing games and suddenly it returns to Windows because Norton decides to do something!

Suggestions and hints much appreciated!

Thanks guys!
  2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

3. dcuk9

dcuk9 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Attached is a log file from the latest version.
  4. kimsland

Un-install:

DAEMON Tools
    SpeedUpMyPC
    Spyware Doctor
    AVG8 (unless this is a paid for one) Try the above AntiVirus software I suggested
  5. dcuk9

dcuk9 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Ah excellent, already a great difference in start up speed!

Cheers!
  6. kimsland

Run this : http://download.piriform.com/ccsetup212.exe

Then also download this excellent tool : http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
    And untick any startup (shortcut) that you really don't want starting with Windows (but only if you know what the program is) All you do is untick the unwanted program. The close Startup Control Panel.

Then restart, after those two, and let me know the difference :grinthumb
  7. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

8. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Posts: 16,392   +35

Gotta wonder if you have two names or if both of you have the same friends! A bit ago I replied to a post that began:
    That person also ran an old version of HijackThis.
    That person also refused to follow the suggested order of running the cleaning programs!

We do that for a reason. HijackThis is a 'followup', not a "cleaner"! Suggest you consider following this:
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.