PC shuts down after 5 seconds

Status
Not open for further replies.

baldyman10

Recently, my computer froze as I was watching a film. I decided to power it off but when I went on to power it back on it shut down after 4-5 seconds and I also got no monitor signal. The computer is a custom build and has been running fine for a year.

Here's a full list of all the results and troubleshooting I done:

-Checked if all the connections were correct
-Reset the CMOS by removing the battery and moving the jumper
-Made sure that the power led on the mobo was working
-Tried to run system in barebones configuration (PSU, mobo, cpu and RAM only)
-Tried to run the PC without the RAM inserted waiting for mobo to give beeps but it didn't

I thought that the motherboard was faulty so I ordered a new one and replaced it but the problem remained. I then decided to take the computer to a tech who said the CPU was dead. I orderd the new CPU and a HSF for it and after placing it in there was still no difference.

With no hope I decided to try the old mobo with the old CPU and it went through POST giving one beep which according to my manual means that the mobo detects all the components. Now I'm sure that the case speaker is working fine. I was able to get into the BIOS with the old mobo and I saw that the CPU and mobo temps were fine. When I turned the computer off and tried to turn it on the problem would appear again. I tried resetting the CMOS again and the PC would POST again so I thought that I needed to reset the CMOS everytime for the PC to start. But then I realized this was wrong and the PC would only post once in about 20 attempts of turning it on. Sometimes when it did POST the screen would freeze and go weird.

I also tried running the PC in barebones configuration with a 300w PSU but the problem remained.

Also I took the PC with the new mobo and new CPU in to a friend of mine and he says that CPU is dead from ESD. (note: I didn't use an antistatic mat when replacing components) When I did replace the components I done it on a solid desk.

So now I would like to ask which component is actually dead? Is it the mobo, CPU or what?
Thanks in advance to all the people which help me with solving this problem.

PC specs:
Asus m2npv-vm
2xKingston 2gb ddr2 RAM
Amd Athlon 64 x2 5600+
550W PSU

Are you using the onboard video or do you have a separate video card? If you are using the onboard, do you have access to a separate graphics card to test with?

Are you using the onboard video or do you have a separate video card? If you are using the onboard, do you have access to a separate graphics card to test with?
I was testing with the onboard and strangely sometimes when I manage to get into bios the screen would often freeze and have the picture aligned in strange lines.
I might try the video card again to see if it gets rid of the weird screen. Any ideas why the computer just shuts down? I am suspecting the board to be faulty.

From what you posted it appears that you tested everything else but your graphics. For lack of a better suggestion you can test it. When you tested the RAM with memtest, how many passes did you try?

From what you posted it appears that you tested everything else but your graphics. For lack of a better suggestion you can test it. When you tested the RAM with memtest, how many passes did you try?
Just 1 with 1 memory stick. It took roughly 30mins.

You should be doing 5 or 7 passes for each stick, separately.
Hi thanks for the replay. Yesterday, I managed to boot from the windows vista installation CD and I went to memory diagnosis which tested 11 times and found no errors. Then I tried to boot my os again and I got the message "BOOTMGR is missing" so I decided to try and reinstall the OS. And guess what it works!!!
I have no idea how this is possible. All troubleshooting I done indicated that this wouldn't be a OS but a hardware problem. I still dont know the actual cause of the problem. When I tried to boot in barebones without the harddrive the problem was there so I am quite lost now:confused:. Well atleast I'm VERY happy that my computer works again.
Thanks for all your help :grinthumb

Congratulations on solving your problem. I'm glad it's all sorted out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back