PC shuts down after only 3 seconds

By Rainydayown
Oct 24, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello this i the problem i have been dealing with and have been trying to fix for last couple of days and i hope that someone can help ne
    My friend basically gave me his whole old computer and he helped me put it together. We forgot to plug in the audio cable i couldn't find were to plug it in at.
    This is what happened i accidentally plugged what i know now is a plug from the power supply that is supposed to power a fan, well i accidentally plugged that into the motherboard were a usb slot or something is supposed to go and i forgot to unplug it from the wall so whenever i turn on my computer is basically turns on for 3 seconds and turns off, the only way i can turn it on is by plugging it in to the wall because now my power button doesn't work.
    I have no idea were to begin
    this is the computer gateway gt5034 (just google that because i cant post links)
    Thanks
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,684   +153

Did you smell or see any smoke? We all made mistakes like this at the start... The motherboard is probably fried :(
  3. Rainydayown

Rainydayown Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Yes dang it i did smell smoke, does anyone wanna point me in the right direction of were to find a replacement for this motherboard?
  4. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,684   +153

5. Rainydayown

Rainydayown Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Yes, it looks like that exactly.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.