Hello.

My pc consists of these hardwares:

Asus P5N-E-SLI
3*1Gig Geil Mem
Core2 duo 6600
750W Thermaltake PSU
8800 GTx MSI
WD 250GIG HD in RAID

My pc crashed today. It had been on for 3 hours and I had opera running, 3ds max9 and itunes, same scenario as everyday the last weeks. I had not begun any work in max; neither was any heavy program running. Suddenly I heard a 1-2 second beep and the pc shut down. I immediately tried to turn the pc on again 5-10 times but it showed no signs of life. There were no signs of short circuits, no heat from the cabinet out of the ordinary. We tried to remove memory bricks, switch to a 7950gt GPU but still no life. Oh, but the green standby light on the MB was on, so there was obviously power in some form.

I then changed to a 400W PSU and now there was a change in the pc’s behaviour. When I turned it on it would boot like normal for about 10-20 seconds. Some times until the first windows start up screen, some times not, before the pc shut down. If I tried to enter BIOS I had about 5 seconds in there before the pc shut down. If I chose safe mode, no matter which option, the pc still turned off after few seconds. Afterwards I put in the first 700W PSU again, and this time, unlike in the beginning when the pc wouldn’t even start, it lasts dor a few seconds exactly like when the 400W PSU was in. I then put in my friends one 160 WD HD, but same crap as always.

So I think I have found out its not a problem with the following:
Not RAM.
Not CPU (since it wouldn’t have started at all if it was damaged?)
Not GPU.
Not PSU – I think…?
Not Harddrives?

So anyone PLS know what this problem is?

MB maybe?

Are you sure it's the MB when I can access BIOS?

I noticed during my few seconds in BIOS before it shut down that CPU temp rose to 49 celsius. Is that too high and therefore it shuts down? Can that be the problem? I also noticed that there is not paste on the entire top surface of the cpu, only a circle of paste covering about half of the area... Is that too little?

Oh, and I bought all the parts in february, so they are quite new...

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

I too think it`s probably a mobo problem. However, it wouldn`t hurt to remove the cpu heatsink and clean off the old thermal pad/paste. Apply some new thermal paste and reattach the heatsink. Instructions for applying therrmal paste can be found HERE.

If after doing that, you still have the same problems, then replace the mobo.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back