PC shuts down, then will only boot into safe mode

By krakerjak
Mar 15, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Ok guys, I have a small problem. I was browsing the internet when out of the blue my computer just shuts off, I immediately try to restart it and when it gets to the Windows xp logo screen it shuts off again. I have yet been able to get past that screen.

However i am able to boot in safe mode with no problem and it runs just fine in safe mode. It is a custom built machine with a recently replaced PSU, (2 years old on the psu).

I am not sure what to do or what info you need, so if you ask i will post it
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,674   +152

3. krakerjak

krakerjak Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

I did a system restore and everything seems fine now. However i don't think it is, I am assuming that the problem is still there. Should I still do a xp repair or just wait until it acts up again?
  4. Tmagic650

Yes, you can wait :)
  5. krakerjak

Ok so it started acting up again, and I don't have an xp cd to do the repair with, any ideas?
  6. krakerjak

a little more info, so I did a restore again and it seemed to fix it for the second time. However this time as soon as restore was finished I manually restarted the pc and it would not boot into windows. I am going to try and make a repair cd from safe mode if possible and then repair xp.
  7. Tmagic650

Okay, good luck :)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.