PC shuts off after a few minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billly10

Well I just recently replaced the VGA cooler on my x1900 Video card. From stock to the VF1 Plus.

I did this because i thought my GPU was over heating when i played very simple 3D games (Team Fortress 2 specifically) While its playing the FPS is fine around 80-100 FPS but after a few minutes it would shut off my PC the fans would rev up and my monitor light would go from green to yellow.

After I switched the temps are much lower... I get about 85 Fahrenheit after i switched (thats idle temp)

BUT the problem still persists when i play any even mildly straining 3D game (HL2 Ep 2). The thing is im confused as to what the problem is because the HDD has been known to shut off when i access certain data sometimes.

More specifically i reinstalled TF2 to see if that would work but instead it did the same thing but this time when i restarted the PC (by holding the power button as i do every time this happens) it "Strongly reccomended a disc check" i skipped because ive been through this before many times with this Hard Drive..

ANOTHER possibility could be the PSU because well its not the best in the world and ive read that this happens with low end PSUs

(my PSU: Suntec 680 Watt ATX Power Supply support Serial ATA SATA)

It is a very old HDD and that could very well be the problem but i could have installed the cooler incorrectly as i have never actually done that before. But im about 75% sure that i did it right!!!

I also used CCC to test for artifacts and the display shut off.... =/

I hear music still playing in the background if the display shuts off in this way..

Please help me !!!

Please... Help... im getting nowhere with this.

How did it work with the stock cooler?

As your PC plays games like TF2 and HL2, it will overheat. As it overheats, the computer will consume more power to cool it down. This wears on the PSU, and it could cause the video card to turn itself off.

Try getting a new powersupply and a liquid cooling system, so it doesnt have to use so much power.

This also happend with the stock but it took more time i could play for about 5 minutes with the stock cooler.. the thermal paste was nearly gone when I saw the GPU though.. I reapplied and now its fine...

I dont even get to in game and it shuts off ... Nothing 3d even shows up on the screen and STILL it shuts off...

Do you really think 680 watts is not enough for this setup:??

M2n SLI Mobo
X1900xtx 512mb
2GB OCZ Gold
AMD 64 X2 5000+

This is the PSU http://www.chowbig.com/su680waatxpo.html

I would say 680W is more than enough for this setup. I doubt that it is your PSU causing the problem, however, but it is not at all completely ruled out. What seems to be happening here is that your PC is not shutting off but just your monitor only because you continue to hear the sound playing. I am curious to know from someone else here if they think a PSU problem can cause this kind of behavior, i.e., shutting off graphics card only. I don't think that the PSU is the problem here. It may very well be an overheating issue or damaged graphics card.

Your CPU is overheating and has automatic protection.

Take off the side case panel and report back..

Also use a AC in room or window , gl

Yo should conisider reseating your HSF ,, clean it fist with alcohol, and put a thin line how arcitive siler says . inbetween the core . good luck,,

Take off the side case panel and report back..

Also use a AC in room or window , gl

The windows in my room are almost always open and i never have the side panel on... =/ and my CPU?: the processor? you sure?.. ive never had a problem there.

Yo should conisider reseating your HSF ,, clean it fist with alcohol, and put a thin line how arcitive siler says . inbetween the core . good luck,,

Whats an HSF? heat...sink...fan?

The heat sink is not at ALL hot to the touch. It shuts off at around 112 Fahrenheit... Which is strange because ive had the PC still going at temps around 200 Fahrenheit without shutting off. (using old cooler)

so what im saying is im pretty sure it does NOT meet the emergency shutoff temps considering ive had it running with temps over this before....

Either PC is overheating the CPU or RAM , or a virus you got. Also make sure PSU is sufficient enough.. thx gl

I doubt it is the CPU automatic protection. The way he describes the shut off is not how it would happen if it was the auto shut-off for the processor. It is apparent the processor is still running in this situation as the sound continued to play, only the monitor goes off.

I doubt it is the CPU automatic protection. The way he describes the shut off is not how it would happen if it was the auto shut-off for the processor. It is apparent the processor is still running in this situation as the sound continued to play, only the monitor goes off.

Any ideas as to what the problem may be? What should I do?

check that the pc isn't set to put the monitor into sleep mode after 10-15mins, try reinstalling drivers, check CPU temps, Monitor Leads/cables, can you give temps in celsius by chance??

check that the pc isn't set to put the monitor into sleep mode after 10-15mins, try reinstalling drivers, check CPU temps, Monitor Leads/cables, can you give temps in celsius by chance??

checked all of the above (nothing was wrong) and here are the temps

GPU idle : 29-30 C
GPU max load before shutting off : 45 C
CPU: 7-10 C idle... load 15 C
ive seen the GPU go up to about 90 C without shutting off...

I was pretty gentle while putting on the cooler so i dont think its damaged.

Also, no luck with those drivers.. ive tried 2 official drivers and that one... no luck

A red light on my video card goes on when it shuts off..

Im not sure what it means...

neither do I, but with help from google i discovered that The LED to the left (D28) is T_Fault, and the right one (D27, closest to power cable) is Ext_Power. If the T_Fault LED is lit, then it's most likely the card. Remove the card and reseat it fully. Make sure the lock engages at the front. If it doesn't display after that, then I'm afraid it's time for an RMA.

neither do I, but with help from google i discovered that The LED to the left (D28) is T_Fault, and the right one (D27, closest to power cable) is Ext_Power. If the T_Fault LED is lit, then it's most likely the card. Remove the card and reseat it fully. Make sure the lock engages at the front. If it doesn't display after that, then I'm afraid it's time for an RMA.

Thanks for that ill check again to see which one it was.

Also what does Ext_Power and T_fault mean?

Edit.. Its the T Fault LED ive reseated it No luck...

Reseated a second time and it worked 0.o why it worked ill never know but THANK YOU SO MUCH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back