PC slow with high CPU usage - how to get it faster?

Hi
I'm asking about my parent's computer. It runs much slower than it should. I have limited techy knowledge and am only at theirs sporadically so I don't want to mess around 2 much without knowing what I'm doing! (it's diff when it's yours and you can play with it).
They have:
Intel Celeron CPU 2.80GHz; 448 MB of RAM; running Windows XP 2002
I have 2 questions:
1. What can I do to get it running faster for them?
2. Are there things they can easily do in my absence if it goes slower again?
I'm not sure what info is needed but:
Performance:
Physical memory
Total - 457200
Available - 98068
System Cache - 132460 (these last two change)
It often runs at over 90% CPU usage which I know is high.
I've attached (I think! ) a list of the processes that run

I have been told that their PC is running a Norton conflict? If this is the case, can I remove the Norton, and will they lose the money if they've just paid for a year on it?

Thanks very much for your time and help on this.

Attachments

• task manager.doc
    52.5 KB · Views: 6
More memory would certainly help but you need to remove whatever if taking up the CPU and anything that's consuming a lot of ram. With the limited amount of ram you have you need to remove anything from startup that isn't absolutely necessary. There shouldn't be more than 5 or 6 programs needed at start up. Switching anti-virus certainly may help.

Installing more memory will certainly help, but in the meantime, consider removing unused programs, free up wasted space via Disk Cleanup, and defragment. To learn how to implement these and other maintenance tasks to improve performance, consider reviewing this resource.

Let us know if this helps.

Thanks JMMD and JasonWinTeam.
JMMD: how would I tell what's taking up the CPU?
Also, how do I remove stuff from start up, and how do I tell which ones are needed?!
Jason - the link to the resource you mentioned didn't work for me. could you repost it?
thanks!

Back