TechSpot

PC thinks DVD drive is a floppy

By detrunks
Dec 12, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HI,
    I've recently changed my PC case and when I booted up in the new system I found that the PC thinks that my DVD drive is a floppy. It's connected via an IDE cable to the IDE (optial) bit of the the motherboard - how can it possibly think it's a floppy drive??!

I'm using an asus a8n-e with XP pro. The optical drive is a NEC DVD-RW drive. I have no floppy drive!

thanks for any responses.

2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

3. sshedlock

sshedlock TS Rookie

have you upgraded the firmware of the DVD drive?

4. detrunks

detrunks TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 204

thx for the replies - I tried the fix and went into BIOS and also changed the connecting cable - this worked but I'm not sure why!!!

5. kimsland

Sorry (your words are a little confusing) which one worked exactly?
    I think it was changing cables that fixed it fully, is that correct? Or was it a combination of that and something else?

6. detrunks

The 'script' didn't appear to fix it after the first reboot. On the second reboot I changed the cable and went into BIOS to 'delete' any reference to a floppy. When booted, the dvd drive appeared.

7. kimsland

Oh sorry, no that was the fix that did it
    I forgot that it does take 2 reboots (I know that sounds like, sure right:rolleyes:)
    But I've had the exact same response from many other users who have done this (after I mentioned to run it)
    woops forgot to mention that :)

8. detrunks

OK, cool!!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.