PC thinks the flash drive is full when it isn't

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi-Newbie here,

Recent history: I downloaded Internet Explorer 8 and immediately had some problems with it. So I had a Microsoft tech help me remove IE8 by using the System Restore. I now am using IE6.

Now, when attempting to use my flash drive the PC thinks it is full even though I have deleted all the files. I looked at the flash drive Properties and indeed it was shown as full.

I then formatted the flash drive and after that the Properties showed it as empty. I once again tried moving one or two small files on to the flash drive and the PC tells me the drive is full again.

The flash drive capacity is 256 mb while the files I attempted to move total only a few kb’s.

Anybody have ideas on what is happening and how to fix it?

Thanks!

Hi Nossamr, are you by chance using vista or windows 7?, the reason i ask is i wonder if when you plug in your flash drive if it is defaulting to dedicating your flash drive to being used for ready boost.

using XP

I have never had this problem before. The only thing that has happened lately was the IE8 issue. So I assume something was changed during the system restore

As already mentioned I would check to make sure ready boost is not enabled on the pen drive.. Enable showing hidden files and folders and check the contents of the pen drive again to make sure there are no hidden files popping on there..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back