PC turns retarded, shuts off after few seconds, turns back on

Status
Not open for further replies.
I HAVE READ OTHER SIMILAR THREADS ------ My PC actually has the fans / lights AND can't even get anywhere on the BIOS.

4gb ram
7950 GT
3.44 GHz Intel Pentium D
250gb HD
1 CD ROM
Foxconn P35A (mobo)

My mom took my PC away from me, I got it back and it is retarded now.

I start the PC, the fans come on, lights are all good, then about 2 -10 seconds it shuts off and then comes back on by itself.

When I turn the power on, the monitor does not show anything at all.

I have tried many of different things:

Different PSU ( problem is not the PSU )

D/C the CD ROM / HD ( so it can't be one of those as a failure )

1 stick of RAM ( my memory is fine )

Checked ALL of my cables, they are connected properly ( checked many of times, unconnected, then reconnected alot )

Replaced the grease between heat sink / CPU ( can't be my CPU or overheating problem )

Heat sink / Fan is properly mounted ( not loose at all and is flat )

All of the aluminum capacitors on the mother board are perfectly fine ( not leaking / and are on proper )

Reset the mother board a few times....

well thats MOST of the stuff I have done, there is probably more but I can't think of what else I have tried at the moment.

And BTW, can't access BIOS so don't ask if I can get into it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Reset the mother board a few times....
Do you mean you have tried resetting the bios jumper, on the Motherboard?
If not do that.

Also, have you tried disconnecting all HDD; Floppy; CD data cables (from the motherboard end (actually I'd do case fan too and front USB connection to motherboard)
If this works, you will need to put one back in at a time, until you find the problem

Usually this fault is related to faulty Ram or CPU

kimsland said:
Do you mean you have tried resetting the bios jumper, on the Motherboard?
If not do that.

Also, have you tried disconnecting all HDD; Floppy; CD data cables (from the motherboard end (actually I'd do case fan too and front USB connection to motherboard)
If this works, you will need to put one back in at a time, until you find the problem

Usually this fault is related to faulty Ram or CPU

I have disconnected everything motherboard power cables, I left RAM in and CPU, tried starting, same thing happens.

Had similar problem before but it was my heat sink / fan for the cpu....but I have replaced it a while ago with a new one.

What I have not done:

Tried another CPU, didn't want to buy one and then that not be the problem, but could that CPU be the problem?

After all, it is one of the things I have not tried but I was not sure if a bad CPU could cause this to happen...or maybe it is not the CPU...

Before purchasing anything.
Have you tried Bench Testing?

ie Motherboard completely out (nothing connected to back (except Power; Keyboard; and Display)
Then turn on the M/B by shorting the power pins

Note: Hardware experience and manual required (but I think you're up to that stage now!)

I had an XP 233 Mhz PC reboot over and over, I recall a memory or HDD error can cause this.
Try with several different RAM and a floppy to boot to for example.

As to shorting the pins, a better idea is mate the proper PC power switch to the mobo as it normally is, I do it that way myself

better idea is mate the proper PC power switch to the mobo as it normally is,
I wouldn't use the same power switch (as the computer) But you can connect an independant one (if that's what you mean) This is to eliminate everything!

someonedying, what I'm saying is to use a small flat screw driver, and short the power pins (whilst bench testing) The power switch pins, are the ones that the front power connector connects to (and it says pwr in small writing)

If you haven't done it before, maybe don't. ie you need to label everything (all the colors) and you need some experience (ie don't blow the board)

It's up to you!

Is all this stuff actually needed? I still dont understand what bench testing is after some reading...

Tools:
Phillips screwdriver
Flat-blade screwdriver
DMM(digital multimeter)
Power supply, 20V 2A or similar
Small Ah 12V battery (~10Ah)
Small 12VDC load (eg. Small 1/3A bulb)

No, (a bulb :) !)

Tools:
Phillips screwdriver
Flat-blade screwdriver
Power supply, (your powersupply)

Ok, that website you linked with instructions on how to bench test.....

I am stuck.

Underneath the fourth image the user posted, there is:

Things to check when the power is activated:

1) Does the CPU fan spin at start-up ?

2) are there any LED lights that are lit on the motherboard when the PSU is connected with the power active in the PSU ?

3) does the video card fan spin ?

4) when the power is active to the system on the bench does the monitor show a yellow or green stand-by light (next to the monitor power button)

Once you get to a post screen I advise you hang there for about half an hour in the bios screen and monitor CPU temps and get your bios settings configured while you are waiting out your temperature monitoring. Set the data & time if this is a new build, boot priority, etc

All of those things are working perfectly fine, so I cannot move any further into this because my monitor isn't picking up the motherboard at all. My monitor has power to it, it has an orange light. CPU fans start. Video card fan spins. LED's work.

But nothing comes onto my monitor, PLUS, it resets itself, and after it resets itself for a few times it will run smoothly and never reset again but still nothing comes up on the monitor, I have tried other monitors, still getting the same response.

If you have got that far
ie M/B out, and now checking individually components (lights and fans)
Then it will be time to start replacing parts:
Ram (Reseat; Clean; Replace)
CPU (Try reseat first - You will need a thin layer of thermal paste, before re-mounting the HeatSink)
Fan (on CPU)
Capacitors on M/b should be silver and flat (not domed)

Bench testing helps in many ways:
Removes all other connections, and also any earthing issues
You can view and understand the board a lot better
You can replace and modify any components easier
You can clean the board with circuit board cleaner
The list goes on and on

Yea, now that I'm doing it, I completely understand what "Bench Testing" is.

I have reseated the heat sink a few times with replacing the thermal compound each time.

I have no time now to type anything , I have to leave.

Ok, I tested different cables with everything, still the same thing happens.

I do have an old MB and I'm thinking about putting all of my things on it and testing if it is a bad MB or not, however it is brand new...

If the same thing continues, then I will have no choice but to purchase a new CPU. I think that is the last thing in the process to be tested for me because I do not have a spare socket 775 laying around.

If it is not the CPU, I might as well kill myself >_<

lol

Have you tried power supply yet?
I know it starts (well)
But power supply can do this too (and other than ram, it's the next best choice)

Edit:
Different PSU ( problem is not the PSU )
Sorry just re-read that

Tried a new PSU, tried both of my RAM in the DIMM1 slot at different times still the same thing.

I guess I will reply once I change MB. *sigh*...probably do that tomorrow.

Oh and one more thing I have noticed, it is that my MB does not beep at all when I hit the pwr on, it never beeps, it used to beep every normal start up.

Something defective that's causing the MB to not beep may be the problem?

Or is that the MB itself?

Hey guys, im having the same problem as of a few days ago.. Ive removed and disconnected everything except for CPU, CPU fans, and PSU and i am still getting the random shut down after about 3 seconds of being turned on... I am using 2 AMD opterons and they are 940 pin which are hard to come by especially for cheap so i cant really test different CPUs. The MB is a tyan and is not cheap to get with 940 pin either. My next step is to try a diff PSU however i am using a thermaltake toughpower 700w and i doubt this is causing the problem. I guess what im getting at is.. Someonedying, if you figure out if it is either your CPU or your MB causing this problem please let me know so i can try replacing the culprit.

There is a small speaker on the motherboard that allows this beep sound.
Some bios and motherboards allow or disallow this speaker emitting sound. And some motherboards have this speaker external (ie plugged in near the pwr;rst;led connectors)

@balzonya

If you are yourself trying to benchtest your system (for a non starting issue)
I would recommend PowerSupply as number 1 (with someonedying, this was his first step before even posting here, 700watt or not)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back