PC Upgrade for high gaming or XBOX 360

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're gonna cop about a bazillion posts telling you to go either way.. some people will tell you to do both ... all in all, I would duck, poke your nose in and see if the there's flame-wars a'brewing or not.. then maybe make the decision yourself.

here's my take anyway,
If i was trying to decide.. I would probably be pondering these factors:

what games do I like? which platform are they available on?
What controls do I like? (kb+mouse vs game-pad)
Do I like playing games online ? online subscription (Xbox) or generally free (PC)??
DO I prefer to play at a desk or at a couch (although you can do both with both really).. but normally an Xbox is hooked up to the family TV.. at least where I come from.
Is playing with mates on a single machine something I love or hate??

the answers to those questions might give you an indication of what you would most enjoy...

Balzi

i play mainly pc games but have an xbox for splitscreen multiplayer and system link halo 2! I really don't like the idea of payin for a decent subscribtion for online gaming!

What I would do is write a list of all the games you want on Xbox 360 vs all the games you want on PC. whichever is longer, I would go for that one.

I would get the PC Upgrade! You will have to spend more money for XBOX 360 accessories. Also by the time you upgrade your PC you can save for the PS3, wOOt!

Many new x-box 360's have problems. Get the fun computer stuff then in about 6 months when the 360 has the bugs worked out and has dropped signifigantly in price check it out. But it depends on the games you play as well. If you decide for the 360 wait a few months anyway so the one you get isn't all bugged out.

It also depends a lot on what your computer's specs are. I'm guessing that it's got a pretty decent CPU/Motherboard if you're looking at a PCI-E video card, but what's your current video card? If you have something along the lines of a 6800 you'd enjoy a 7800, but maybe not as much as a 360. Then again, if you have an SLI mobo, a 7800GT would be a great card looking forward to putting in another down the road.

Personally, I'm waiting to get a 360 until there are more games (especially more used games floating around) and the price drops some. Some of the more exciting titles comming out for the 360 are also comming out on PC anyway (or are already out - Call of Duty 2, Need For Speed: Most Wanted, Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, etc.), so unless you really want to play Dead or Alive 4, Perfect Dark Zero, or Project Gotham 3 there really isn't any reason to spend the money on the 360 yet.

like BALZI said u should consider the
Games u want to play
the Controls and seat
and if u wanna play single player by yourself or w/ friends or online.
Two things he left out would be the displays that u are playing. (should have a HD display for the 360)
Also where ur gonna be buying that 360 from. !!ONE WARNING!! dont go to ebay. i just met a kid today who lost 600 dollars kinda... cause atleast hes gotta a picture of what he wants.
And i guess just how badly u want either one

Those r the things that really matter.

What you REALLY need to consider is the fact that when you buy a 360 you will be secured to play NEW games for the next four or five years. The same couldn't be said for any pc even with a 4800+ cpu and sli'd 7800gt's!!!!!!!! lol
I find the only major drawback for console gaming is the high price of games. A new 360 game would at least cost £40/$60 but normally new pc games can be found for about half of that.
Another console issue is the annoyance of having to pay for a subscription to play games online whilst online gaming on a pc costs NOTHING unless you're wanting to play mmorpgs!
So overall, both pc and 360 have their individual strengths and weaknesses. But I feel getting a long lifespan out of your purchase is very important, hence I feel the xbox 360 would be better value and a better investment in the long term than a pc upgrade.

if i were u I would upgrade the pc, see,, the ps3 will come out laste 2006 and it will make the xbox 360 look dated, well not that dated but it will just have better gaphics, thats all, but still like everyone says, depends what kind of games you like to play

I'd wait a bit to see what the games released for the X-BOX are like before I would buy. I tend to prefer pc games though.

between those two options, i would definatly go PC, x box is lame, depending on what kinda games u like, Playstation has way more game choices.

all console really are is basically a computer, with crappy graphics, and fewer control options.

but it depends on the games u like really, i prefer PS2 for racing games, and PC for strategy and First person shooters.

SultanGris said:
i prefer PS2 for racing games, and PC for strategy and First person shooters.

The 360 controller can connect to your PC, so you can actually play racing games on the PC pretty comfortably now. This is assumming that you like the 360 controller. Personally, I really hate Playstation controllers and find Xbox controllers much more comfortable (especially the 360 controller).

The Super NES Controller is the best...
but regarding design... 360 one great too...

but how come you like Xbox one better than a PS2?... have u tried playing Fighting games on a XBOX controller?... oh god know i hate it...

Jaquio said:
but how come you like Xbox one better than a PS2?... have u tried playing Fighting games on a XBOX controller?... oh god know i hate it...

It's just more comfortable to me. I'm talking about the "S" controller of course, not the big fatty. I never like the original Playstation controller and they didn't do anything to improve it for the PS2. As far as fighting games - I love playing Soul Caliber 2 on my Xbox. I don't have any problem at all with it. If you like the PS2 controller, more power to ya, I just never have. Of course, anything is better than the gamecube controller. I played Soul Caliber 2 on it at a friend's. That's a mistake I won't make again. I hated it.

then dude u have weird hands cuz it is a fact that the ps2 controleer is the easiest one to use, like just look at it! it so perfect! u dont have to stretch fingers or anything to reach for buttoms, like the xbox controller, yeah xbox 360's are decent but the xbox, hell no, i hate playing halo 2 and switching granades, have to move hand from firing buttom and looking joy stick just to change to stick granades, grrrrr

crazdude said:
then dude u have weird hands cuz it is a fact that the ps2 controleer is the easiest one to use, like just look at it! it so perfect! u dont have to stretch fingers or anything to reach for buttoms, like the xbox controller, yeah xbox 3580's are decent but the xbox, hell no, i hate playing halo 2 and switching granades, have to move hand from firing buttom and looking joy stick just to change to stick granades, grrrrr

It sounds like you don't really play xbox too much. It becomes pretty intuitive very quickly - at least it did for me. I do have to say the moving the black and white buttons to the top of the controller was a big improvement for the 360 controller. In the end it comes down to personal preference. If you like the PS2 controller better, more power to ya. I mainly like the layout of the analog sticks better on the xbox controllers.

yeah, i siad that xbox controller suck, not the xbox 360 ones, specially when ur hands started to hurt after a while of playing

kens8 said:
I never like the original Playstation controller and they didn't do anything to improve it for the PS2.

thats because you cant improve on perfection:), but everyone has thier own preferences and diferent size hands will affect your preference, but i personally like ps2 controller the best out of them all, and find it easiest to use.

I do think that the ps3 controller looks like it's a little better. Using the analog sticks was always awkward for me on the ps2 controllers.

Nothing is perfect, so yes, sony could at least tried to improve it. I personally find it unconfortable, but thats just me.

Back on the original topic, I would always spend money on my pc first, and then use the left overs for a console if any. On PCs you do much more than just gaming.

Go for the pc upgrades. Are you going to get the 400$ one? If so, you'd better have HDTV(480i,640p,960p,1080i) highspeed connection for xboxlive, (then you would have to buy a router if you want to share youre connection)And lastely money for the games.Games for the 360 are 40-50$, i doubt they will be going down anytime soon. So just upgrade your pc, ram, mouse, keyboard, speakers, accessories, ect ect.

I think it all depends on what you want to do. Do you want to play your PC games on high settings, or do you want to game on a console. I can't really answer it beyond that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back