TechSpot

PC Upgrade Path

By BlackIrish
Apr 10, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey,

You can see my current PC configuration in my signature. Now, I'm planning on upgrading, but I wish to skip the current Intel i7 models and wait for the next 2011 models (I like to sqeeze the last bit of performance before upgrading )

Anyway, do you think that if I upgrade to a Q9550 or Q9400 that I would experience some worthy speedup? I'm using my PC mostly for gaming (1080p) and graphic/web design and office work (meaning I do a lot of multitasking between simple applications in Windows 7). Note that I won't be doing much OC as my mobo doesn't allow it (I can only use SetFSB), and I'm not interested in Audio/Video (multimedia) encoding at all.

So I'm basically asking, will this Q9550 (or Q9400) CPU be close to i7 level of performance for the tasks I need? Because I read i7's are good for audio/video decoding which I don't need...
  2. EXCellR8

EXCellR8 The Conservative Posts: 2,278

I think upgrading to a Q9400 or Q9550 is plenty worth it in your case, but I don't think you'll experience a level of performance close to the midstream i7 quads without overclocking. However, imo the majority of quad core processors are still ahead of the game as far as future-proofing goes. Heck, I'm still using my trusty Q6600 and it still does everything I need it to do. I overclock but if you ask me that's just getting more bang for your buck. Plus, the Q9xxx are all 45nm and plenty fast for most applications; can boost multitasking performance significantly.
  3. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 4,367   +125

I don't think upgrading is worth it...they are essentially the same processor, and you don't seem to be stressing it.
    On the other hand, if you could get it for a good cheap < $100, then it may possibly be worth it. I personally would just wait though. But hey, i'm on an e4600, and I even gave up on keeping it overclocked.

Isn't sandy bridge mostly orientated for laptops and streamline/efficiency more than a total architectural revision?
  4. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,048   +75

it depends on what games you play as well; as some games has started to use multi-threading capabilities, so they can take advantage of more cores. In general use, there are some scenarios which will notice performance improvement. I am roughly of the same view as you are, and few months ago I upgraded from E600 to Q8400 so far it seems I made the right decision, it perform on or about the level of Q6600 not bad investment considering the price. :)

Edit:
    E600 = E6600 (typing on this HP notebook's useless keyboard ain't that fun really)
  5. Ritwik7

Ritwik7 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,288   +7

The E6750 is a pretty good CPU. I'm not sure but I don't think you'll see any miraculous improvement in gaming by choosing those quads. However, as HK says, if you get it real cheap then fine. You could look to get a better GPU if you're looking for more gaming power.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.