PC will not power on

dknight06

Good evening. I am looking at a PC for a friend. It's a pretty old Dell Desktop. According to her, a few nights back during some storms they had a power outage. Now the PC won't power on since then. The PC was not on at the time.

Thus far I've changed out the PSU successfully and now have the light on the mobo lit, however, it still will not POST. I've also tried removing RAM and and unplugging other components to see if they may be the issue, but so far no luck. Any other suggestions?

Good evening. I am looking at a PC for a friend. It's a pretty old Dell Desktop. According to her, a few nights back during some storms they had a power outage. Now the PC won't power on since then. The PC was not on at the time.

Thus far I've changed out the PSU successfully and now have the light on the mobo lit, however, it still will not POST. I've also tried removing RAM and and unplugging other components to see if they may be the issue, but so far no luck. Any other suggestions?

Do you see any physical damage like blown capcitors, or do you smell anything inside the case?. Also chk your video grafix card. It can be ur video crd.

If that's the case, are you sure that you plug them all correctly? .. Is the socket that you used working?
(I'm sorry for my question if it sounds weird, but for clarification)

Thank you for the responses. I have checked the socket and it works. I have unplugged and plugged everything but the video card which I will try. I also noticed no physical damage or smelled nothing.

Def, chk ur card. Fully take it out and re-insert it, if still not working, try another video crd and if still not working, avoid ur self the headache and replace the MB or the whole Dell computer..lol

Possible Video card damage.

One thing you could try to prove if the Graphic card is ok or not.
Switch PC off.
Unscrew the blue vga monitor plug from the graphic card.
Take out the graphic card. Screw the blue VGA monitor plug onto the on-board socket. (it may be covered with a grey plastic top) Reboot the PC. Does it get to the Desktop now? If not, hold the power button in for 5 seconds. It will go off. Press it once more to power up again Press F2 straight away. Go into the BIOS screen. go to 'on board devices' Switch on the 'integrated graphics'. Press F11 (save and exit) Let it re-boot.
If it now works ok, you have proved the graphic card is damaged. But you can use the PC now !
(I am writing this as I have an old-ish DELL and it would work here, I had some Graphics problems and I used on-board graphics for some weeks). This is a simple fix, sorry if you know this already.

Thus far I've changed out the PSU successfully and now have the light on the mobo lit

Is this a psu that was taken from a working unit? If not, pin-out or replace with a known working unit.

So far it doesn't seem to be the vid card either and to answer the question, yes, it the psu was taken out of a working pc.

Back