TechSpot

PC will not start, after being unused for over a year!

By sithlord2003
Jan 26, 2010
  1. Got a Dell Desktop about 2002, Intel P4 like 2.8ghz, was a bad *** gaming pc that I bough just for DOOM3, well I stopped using it last year Oct cause I got this laptop, which love laptops now lol, and I would say around Last december was the last time it was turned on and worked, I just hooked it up and tried to turn it on it started up the Dell start up with the F2 for set up ect. and stopped 3/4 of the way...waited waited so i shut it off then tried again, no all it does is the loud whoos and the 2 lights on the front stay on and the 2 dvd/cd rom lights blink. Anyone have an Idea of how I can fix this if fixable, or do I need pro help.
    Thx 4 any help

Dark Lord of the Sith

2. hughva

hughva TS Rookie Posts: 309

"Loud whoos"?
    Are you talking about the diagnostic lights?
    What's the model?

3. Puiu

Puiu TS Evangelist Posts: 1,087   +108

Try moving the cables inside the case a bit. It might have some problems detecting your HDD. If that doesn't work try resetting your bios. Since you didn't use for a year the bios battery might have died so check that too.

4. sithlord2003

sithlord2003 TS Rookie Topic Starter

The whoos is the cooling fan for the power supply then it turns off and there is no beep/noised from the cpu. Dont remember the model number but did some research and I bet it it the bios or cmos battery. Will have to work on it later. Ty for all the input.

5. jrpatterson1

jrpatterson1 TS Rookie

funny story. I kicked mine and it worked. I know that seems like the generic thing... and no i dont recommend it lol

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.