Pc won't boot after CPU upgrade

besnik

[FONT=Verdana][LEFT]Hi I'm new here and I wanted to ask about my problem , I searched it in the forum , but couldn't find topic with the same problem .
Here it goes : So I bought a new processor AMD Athlon 64 x2 dual-core 4800+ and I installed it, started my PC and it worked just fine for around 2 hours then I shut down the PC .
The next time I tried to boot up the pc it wouldn't boot :the fan started but after 3 seconds it stopped .Tried this several times .
Then : I removed the CPU to see if there's any damaged pin - It was all OK , I put it back in and started the PC and it booted , but around 5 sec. after the welcome screen ,the screen froze .
I ejected the power cable and put it back in , started the pc and it boot till the welcome screen and it froze again :mad: .
Now I can't even get to POST screen , after 3 sec. the fans stop working and the pc shuts down,but when I insert the Old CPU it works just fine .
What makes me confused is that last night when I tried to boot pc with the (X2) it started and worked normal , but in the morning it wont boot with the same problem (3sec)
I've :
-Flashed my BIOS (the lastest version)
-Removed every other part from the mobo except the CPU and boot , but still the same
-Cleared CMOS
-Looked for any damaged pin .

my previous CPU was - AMD Sempron LE-1100 1.9 GHZ
Here's my PC info :
MB : ASUS M2N68-AM SE2
CPU : AMD semprom LE-1100 (wanted to update to Athlon 64 x2 4800+)
RAM : 1.75 GB (one stick)
That's it if anyone could help me ,I would be very thankful :S

P.S : Sorry for bad english(not my native language)[/LEFT]
[/FONT]

You have probably fried the CPU. There needs to be thermal compound or paste applied between the CPU and its heat sink!

Yeah umm...what he said..

Running the CPU without thermal paste probably overheated it and may have burned up. Those models of CPU I recall did not have a thermal exception and would run until they fry themselves.

My old CPU runs without thermal paste and it works fine no overheating (30-40*C) ,

-I don't think the CPU is dead - please read the topic details
What I'm suspecting is the PSU , so I'm asking anyone to tell me if they ever experienced the same problem
Cheers !:cool:

Pc won't boot after CPU upgrade...

There are no working CPU's without thermal pads or paste applied. You are not understanding this! You changed the CPU without cleaning off any dried on paste and adding any new thermal paste. The CPU has over-heated and died causing the PC not to boot

In this day and age, CPUs of recent generations underclock/shut down to prevent overheating issues because of sensors. Those 2 particular processors do not have sensors that will do that, when you ran it for two hours, the CPU was running at an extreme temp and probably burned up, the CPU's now have bad parts (Maybe not totally dead) which is causing them to partially work. As Tmagic650 said, you need at least thermal pads or paste on the CPU for the cooler to actually cool of the CPU.

Actually it was running at 60*C which is not extreme I guess , but is high
Anyway the CPU might be dead ,althought I will try if it is the PSU fault , who knows :cool:

A couple ways:

1: Find a board that will work with it, put it in WITH thermal paste and a cooler on top

2: Try your board again with thermal paste and cooler attached and if you really wanna test, put a diff power supply on that is guaranteed working

3: Test your PSU on another machine

Sorry to hear that, I bet you could pick up another one for pretty cheap of that model, just make sure next time to put thermal paste when connecting the cooler to prevent this from happening again.

Yes, make sure the heat-sink and CPU surfaces are clean an apply a small pea sized drop of thermal paste to the new CPU before you attach the heat-sink to the CPU next time

Back