PC won't boot is PSU bad or is my mobo bad?

By willyt2
Nov 14, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. I was called to fix a dead computer. The computer wouldn't boot so I assumed it was the PSU. Took out the PSU and put one in that I know worked. Turned the PC on and no problem PC boots fine, everything works.

I had a third PSU sitting there and wondered if it was still good so I pulled the PSU out that I just replaced hooked up the third PSU It didn't work. Ok so bad PSU now I know. So I put the PSU back in that was just working plugged everything back in now computer won't boot? Green light is on at the back of PSU I also have a green light on mobo. I should have just left it alone when I had it running but.......Could the power supply just die like that or did my mobo just die can't figure it out. Can anyone help me please?
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,461   +135

I would say the motherboard has gone bad... That "bad" power supply may have taken it out
  3. willyt2

willyt2 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Yeah thanks that's what I thought but was hoping for a different answer.
  4. techsuitor

techsuitor Newcomer, in training Posts: 145

Are you sure that the last PSU that you've putted back was the one which is running?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.