PC won't boot: no fans no power but led on mobo comes on

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcee

pc wont boot no fans no power but led on mobo comes on..

same old story eh...
a few days ago my pc packed up no power to the fans wont boot etc.. except the led on the motherboard comes on and stays on..
i have tried resseting cmos and shorting the power pin thingys.. still nothing

my rig: (not an oem)
window xp sp2
ASUS M2A-VM mobo
AMD athlon 64x2 6000+
1 gb kingston ddr2
maxtor 250gb sata hd
20x dvd
no video card or soundcard
x blade case with 450w psu

ye im a bit stuffed really as dont know a lot about pc's and stuff.
suspect its the power supply as the case psu is bound to be poor quality.
so think am gonna get a new psu.. if any1 knows any different or could advise me as to what the problem/solution could be i'd sure apreciate it.

nice1

The psu is the main suspect i recon. When you say you tried shorting it, what exactly did you do and what exactly happened?

Unplug the mobo connector and short the green to any black. That will tell you if the psu is dead or not (its fan(s) should spin up).

good news (i think).. tested the psu as per instructions and dito nothing.. so looks like its the psu..

nice

i believe its the CPU, if you get power leds on the motherboard then it tells us that the PSU is fine.

I once had a broken CPU due to a pin snap, the Mobo powers up fine - PC won't boot, check your CPU - check for damaged pins and if possible test in another PC.

Simon

Not true. All the led shows is that the 5 volt standby is working, nothing else.

I know of what I speak, i have spent over 15 years in the electronics trade and am one of the very few that is able to repair most pc psu problems.

PBNinja101 said:
i believe its the CPU, if you get power leds on the motherboard then it tells us that the PSU is fine.

I once had a broken CPU due to a pin snap, the Mobo powers up fine - PC won't boot, check your CPU - check for damaged pins and if possible test in another PC.

Simon

er ye thanks mate but i tend to agree with rik and having just tested the psu and it didnt work im leaning towards that solution anyway just gonna pick up a new psu tomorow and see..

Don't get me wrong. I am not guaranteeing that there isn't a problem with the mobo or cpu. I'm just saying that you should never ever rely on the mobo led as a sign that the psu is ok.

That would be akin to saying a car will run fine because the headlights turn on.

Happy days!!

ye it was the power supply, got a new one today hooked it up and its all good!

bloody cheapo psu that came with the xblade case!
take note if you own an xblade case.. change the power supply before it conks out and messes with your head!

thanks every1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back