PC won't boot/recognize CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am attempting to do a fresh install of xp pro. The problem is the pc doesn't recognize the cd and instead goes directly to the hard drive after it asks if I want to boot off of the cd. I have been in the bios and made every boot option the cd i.e. the hard drive is not even a boot option. I have no reason to believe the cd drive or the cd itself are defective. Any suggestions and help are much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Withoutaclue

PS I was thinking about using an external enclosure and reformatting the hard drive with another machine.

First, does your bios recognize the cd drive at all? Can you see it listed in the configured devices when the BIOS runs through that? When you set boot order, are you setting up "CD ROM" as the boot device, or are you setting a specific device (eg "LIte-ON MODEL DVD-RW" type label)?

If there's an existing install of Windows, often the XP CD will say "Press any key to enter setup" for what seems like a VERY brief period of time. When you start up, try hitting a key, and see if it bumps you into setup.

If it's a genuine XP Install cd, yes it's bootable. If it's not genuine, I'm afraid we can't help here.

Also, if for some odd bizarre reason you do decide to blow out your drive, use compressed air and not your mouth- spit and lenses don't mix mmmkay. <sarcasm> Spit and lasers are a bad idea to combine. They may make a steam cloud in your drive and we all know you can't read in steam. <sarcasm> For many reasons, it's generally better to never blow out your drive and instead use a cleaning kit.

PS- Withoutaclue, welcome to Techspot! :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back