TechSpot

PC won't power down on shutdown

By Pinnacle
Jul 27, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Recently my PSU decided to die and refused to turn on. I have since replaced it but am experiencing problems at shutdown. The monitor and hard drive power down as usal however the CPU fan and case fans continue to spin. When I reinstalled windows (before gfx drivers were installed) I noticed the computer whould freeze at the shoutdown screen and after the drivers were installed would repeat the first problem I mentioned. I have since been changing the parts I can and have experienced the same problem with a different graphics card and hard drive. This leads me to believe it could be a mobo problem?

Specs are:
    AsRock b75M
    i5 3550
    Gainward GTX 570
    WD Caviar Black 640GB
    Silverstone Strider Plus 750W
    8GB GSKill Ripjaws @ 1600Mhz
    All the parts with the exception of the hard drive are 2 weeks or less old. The PSU was purchased after the inital one failed.

I have ran Memtest86 for 4 hours with no errors and Prime95 for 3 with no errors. The computer runs fine as far as I can tell until shutdown. Any advice on what my next move should be is appreciated.

Cheers,

Pinnacle

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.