PC won't read my USB Kingston DataTraveler

I've had a 1GB kingston datatraveler for a while now, and hasn't given me any problem at all. Recently I bought a new pc and it just won't read this specific USB memory flash, while it does the other one I have and any other USB device I plug and this datatraveler flash can be read by other pc and lap tops I plug it into. By the way, when I plug it in my new pc it gets very, very hot. Don't know if it has anything to do with the issue. Tnx for the help.

Hi sandraval :wave:

And welcome to TechSpot!

1) No big deal but i'll ask the mods to move your topic to Storage and Networking as i think that's probably the better forum for your topic

2) Try this. See if this might help [post=875300]How to Cleanup and Remove old USB Storage Drivers[/post] and post back to let us know

Still not working

I followed all the instructions in the article, and it did delete the old drivers, and still can't find the memory flash, it's like it's not there!

Issues with USB drives can be very strange indeed. LookinAround may be able to recall the uncanny events associated with my Kingston 8GB pen drive.

It would be interesting to see if your issue is OS or hardware related. Try getting hold of a copy of Knoppix (or any other Linux distro that can be run from a CD) and check whether your drive works under the different OS. If it does, then it's a Windows related problem you're facing on your specific machine. Else it's HW related.

Issues with USB drives can be very strange indeed. LookinAround may be able to recall the uncanny events associated with my Kingston 8GB pen drive.

It would be interesting to see if your issue is OS or hardware related. Try getting hold of a copy of Knoppix (or any other Linux distro that can be run from a CD) and check whether your drive works under the different OS. If it does, then it's a Windows related problem you're facing on your specific machine. Else it's HW related.
Hi Rit!! And, yes, when i read this thread i sure did remember the "Saga of the strange USB Kingston flash driver" by Ritwik7!! :D

Altho, i did forget the next best step to try that. But you reminded me. You said it. THAT WAS IT! Y LOL... Sandraval, follow Rit's advice. You'll find instructions to create a Knoppix boot CD in [post=766270]THIS[/post] post, step 2. Then boot into Knoppix see if your Kingston works under Knoppix..

Back