PC3200 DDR Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilFallenAngel

I currently have a MSI KT6 Delta-LSR, I wanted to put in 1GB of PC3200 DDR Kingston. I called kingston and they told me that I can only put in ram with latecy 2.5. The CL 2.5 seem to be more expensive than the 3CL models can someone tell me whats up with this. Thanks, I am looking at muskin and other models if you guys have any suggestions, I either want to get 2 512 sticks or one 1GB stick around 100 bucks give or take 30 bucks

CPU
• Supports Socket A for AMD® Athlon™/Athlon™ XP/Duron™ processors @FSB 200/266/333/400 MHz
• Supports to Athlon™ XP 3200+ processor or higher

Chipset
• VIA® KT600 Chipset
- Supports FSB @200/266/333/400MHz
- Supports DDR200/266/333/400 Memory
- AGP8X and PCI advanced high performance memory controller

• VIA® VT8237 Chipset
- Ultra DMA 66/100/133 master mode EIDE controller
- Integrated dual channel native Serial ATA/RAID controller that will supply 150MB/s and support RAID 0, RAID 1
- ACPI & PC2001 compliant enhanced power management
- Supports 8 USB2.0 ports. (Rear x6/ Front x2)

Main Memory
• Supports six memory banks by using three 184-pin DDR SDRAMs
• Supports up to 3GB memory size
• Supports DDR400/DDR333/DDR266/DDR200 DDR SDRAM
• Note: PC3200 (DDR400) maximum 4 banks (2 double-sided) only
Due to the High Performance Memory design, motherboards or system configurations may or may not operate smoothly at the JEDEC (Joint Electron Device Engineering Council) standard settings (BIOS Default on the motherboard) such as DDR voltage, memory speeds and memory timing. Please confirm and adjust your memory setting in the BIOS accordingly for better system stability.
Example: Kingston HyperX DDR500 PC4000 operates at 2.65V, 3-4-4-8, CL=3.
For more information about specification of high performance memory modules, please check with your Memory Manufactures for more details.

Slots
• One AGP (Accelerated Graphics Port) 1.5V 4x/8x slot
• Five PCI 2.2 32-bit Master PCI Bus slots. (support 3.3v / 5v PCI bus interface)

BIOS
• The mainboard BIOS provides "Plug & Play" BIOS which detects the peripheral devices and expansion cards of the board automatically.
• The mainboard provides a Desktop Management Interface (DMI) function which records your mainboard specifications.

On-Board IDE
• An IDE controller on the VT8237 chipset provides IDE HDD/CD-ROM with PIO, Bus Master and Ultra DMA 66/100/133 operation modes. It can connect 4 Ultra ATA drives.
• Serial ATA/150 controller integrated in VT8237
- Up to 150MB/s transfer speed
- Can connect up to 2 Serial ATA drives
- Support RAID 0, RAID 1

Audio
• 6 Channel software audio codec C-Media 9739A
• Compliance with AC97 v2.2 Spec
• Meet PC2001 audio performance requirement

Network
• Broadcom 4401
• Integrated Ethernet MAC and PHY transceiver, auto-negotiation operation.
• Supports single-port 10MB/s and 100MB/s Base-T application.
• Compliance with PCIv2.2 and LAN on Motherboard (LOM) standard.

On-Board Peripherals
- 1 floppy port supports 2 FDDs with 360K, 720K, 1.2M, 1.44M and 2.88Mbytes
- 2 serial ports (COM A + COM B)
- 1 parallel port supports SPP/EPP/ECP mode
- 8 USB 2.0 ports (Rear x 6 / **Front x 2)
- 3 audio ports in vertical
- 1 RJ-45 jack
- 1 IrDA connector for SIR/ASKIR/HPSIR

Dimension
30.5 cm(L) x 23.5 cm(W) ATX Form Factor

Mounting
9 mounting holes

sorry guys heres my rigs stats right now MSI board I mentioned above, Kinston value PC 2700 DDR 512MB, Nvidia GeForce 5600XTD 128MB, SoundBlaster Gamer 5.1(old), 30g hardrive(its really old, dont know much about it, changing over to SATA 74g raptor) and aopen case(old, origional built couple years ago) and I think I have like 350W PS. and currently have AMD athlon 2500 barton core upgrading to AMD athlon 3200 or getting new MSI board and AMD 64 3500 wincheter socket 939 90nm

As you are going to upgrade your mobo anyway, buy 2x 512MB sticks PC3200 from e.g. www.crucial.com or the Corsair 'Value'. That way you can use Dual Channel on the new mobo. Never mind what your current mobo 'would like'.

I think MSI is BSing you...i,ve never seen a mobo "require" a certain cas latency...doesnt make sense...;.) Dual Channel is the way to go if you,re gonna run a 64bit cpu.

It wasnt MSI, it was Kingston I talked to, I planning on calling MSI now though and see what they have to say about this, but I do plan to put in 1GB of PC3200 probally Kingston or Muskin.

OK heres my HW, first of all 2CL is faster the 3CL one clock cycle less, which makes it 33% faster, second of all 2.5 CL is rounded up to be 3CL, so they are the same damn thing, Kingston customer support sucks, all he wanted was for me to buy the more expensive ram, rather that just go for the 3CL which is way cheaper 50 bucks less than the 2.5CL specific ram. I also checked online and you can run 3CL at 2T and run well. I will look for 2CL now since my board supports it, and will probally go for mushkin or crucial, I may steer away from kingston now for their crappy customer support. Thanks for all the help guys, I also found out that for you gamers out ther 2CL is better for OC, and 2CL ram may also be about the same price and 3CL 5 dollars give or take.
:knock:

One more question, my board does not support dual channel memory, but I plan to get a new board and processor later on and wanted to transfer it over, will I be able to run dual channel on my board for now, I know it wont have that extra bandwidth right now but then move over to new rig in 6 - year.

EvilFallenAngel said:
One more question, my board does not support dual channel memory, but I plan to get a new board and processor later on and wanted to transfer it over, will I be able to run dual channel on my board for now, I know it wont have that extra bandwidth right now but then move over to new rig in 6 - year.

You can put 2 sticks of ram into your existing board and it will be fine. It will not be in dual channel mode, it will be in single channel mode, with 2 sticks.

Once you have the newer board, you can move those sticks over and then you will have a dual channel system.

yeah thats what I wanted to know, you can put dual channel memory in set but it wont have dual channel memory mode, it will run single. great, is dual channel better than just reg single, I plannin on getting winchester 3500 939 AMD 64 90nm with MSI Neo2 Plat

I have a question, I also have most of my components set to auto on board, I had to change multi on board to get right processor, will I need to do the same with other components, like find out what my video card is suppose to be running at per manual, and memory too and change its volts to that or will it run properly just on auto, I dont want it to be underclocked but would like it to run normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back