PCI-E 3.0 questions

Teh Snowman

Hi all,

I'm looking at this motherboard for my build:

ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3

I read online that PCI-E 2.0 cards should work. But I also wanna make sure that SLI will work with 2.0 cards, or if any other problems can come from using 2.0 cards. If anyone knows or has experience with this board, or any other board with PCI-E 3.0, I'd appreciate some help.

This board looks great and is at the perfect price for me, and this is the only thing really holding me back from getting it.

Thanks!

For further information on PCIE cards, take a look at this page:

http://www.upgradevideocards.com/pcie.html

I have only heard of one board manufactured with PCIe 3.0 slots and that was from ASRock - just released last month. Note that PCIe 2.0 can still handle everthing even the top end video cards can throw at it - except I am not sure about the very top end cards with 2 GPUs on one card. Infact the slower PCIe 1.0 can still handle most cards.

I have a similar ASRock P67 Extreme6 that also has PCI-E 3.0. FWIW, I'm using a single Powercolor Radeon HD 6970 (PCI-E 2.1) and don't have any compatibility problems.

Thanks for the replies,

So do you guys think I'll be fine if I want to use 2x GTX 570's in SLI on this board? I just want to make sure because I haven't been able to find anything about this anywhere.

Back