PCI-E x1 to PCI-E x16

Status
Not open for further replies.

r3claimer

I've heard that you can buy adapters for your computer that let you connect PCI-E x16 devices (Such a a PCI-E x16 video card) into a normal PCI-E slot. I have a Dell 3100 and obviously, it has flaws. One of course being it's PCI-E slot. Will these adapters let me use a newer Video card effectively? I've heard that higher end video cards will not be compatible, but I'm not sure specifically what that means. If I buy an adapter, will the Nvidia GeForce 8800GT be able to connect well to my computer? (Assumming of course that a get a better power supply,[BTW, anyone know where I can find a Dell 3100 compatible one?]) And if the GeForce 8800GT is too high end, what card would you recommend? Although this doesn't really matter in this case, I've upgraded my RAM to 2GB (Not sure what speed) Anyway, if any of you guys have some ideas, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Yeah sorry, was changing the title and i scewed it up making 2 identical threads, doesn't matter if you respond to this one or the other one. Sorry for my stupidity
:-D

Not worth it
Please update your computer (seeming it's proprietory) to another computer with PCI-E x 16 slot

This will save you purchasing compatable vid cards and power supplies, and worries!

The end

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back