Pci-e X16, Pci-e 2.o Whats The Difference?

By Berzer
Dec 26, 2007
  1. As you may have read i'm looking into buying a new video card. i was reccommended an 8800GT. i checked the specifications on the interface and saw on newegg that its PCI-E 2.0. I checked my mobo and saw that mine supports PCI-E X16. I did not see a PCI-E 2.O slot. I feel abit confused with this as i looked at both cards connectors and they looked very similar if not the same. Could someone explain what the difference is in these two? I'm assuming that PCI-E 2.0 is the newest one out, and possibly my mobo does not support it. If i am correct then maybe i cannot install an 8800GT and an 8600GT would be the max for me?
  2. there is no difference.

i think only NOW are they making PCI-e 2.0 slots which if i'm not mistaken are now optimized for pci-e 2.0 cards.

but don't worry. an 8800gt will fit and will work just fine in a pci-e 16x slot.
  3. Berzer

Berzer TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 31

i guess i was confused thinking the pci-e x16 had something to do with the way it fit into the mobo. i read somewhere through google that the x16 refers to the number of lanes of data. i could never figure out the 2.0 thing though. from what i understood it was the version of software. it stated something about v1.1 was up to x32. the 8800GT said the interface type was pci-e 2.0 but that the interface type on the 8600GT was pci-e x16. i think maybe they are the ones confused on newegg? look at the specs on both of these. does it make sense to you?

from one point i would take that the pci-e x16 was the slot type, yet another would suggest that pci-e 2.0 is, or is just the interface type. seriously confused.
  4. vnf4ultra

vnf4ultra TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,388

PCI-E 2.0 also supports outputting more power to the video card through the slot. Hopefully that means that future cards will either not need a pci-e power cable or at least not 2, like some high end cards.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.