PCI express x1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrpaz16

I recently got a pretty good new computer with 4gb of ram, 3.0ghz pentium 4, and a 250gb hard drive. This PC may not be the best, but it is WAY better than what I had. The only problem is that the computer only has pci and pci express x1 slots. The question is are there any good pci express x1 video cards? I would prefer to use pci express x1 because the interface is supposed to be much faster than plain pci. If anything, is there a way to put pci express x16 video cards in an x1 slot, possibly an adapter of some sort? Any help on this matter is appreciated.

Hey jrpaz16, check out my specs. I am using a celeron at 3.06ghz, and i use pci cards, depending on what pci card you have, it really pushes gaming far. My 2400HD performance about 10x faster then what it did on my p3 at 600mhz. I also have a 8400gs, and i plan to buy a 8600gt.

But you know what, i also plan to buy this because i also have a pcie 1.0 slot, check this out:
StarTech PEX1TO16 PCI-Express x1 to Low Profile x16 Slot Extension Adapter -
http://www.superwarehouse.com/p.cfm?p=1553154&CMP=KAC-GoogleShopping&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=1553154

That way i can buy a 4670 card.

To kimsland, yes It is pci express x1, I'm positive. To tha General, that is what i'm looking for, thank you. Will the adapter with without any compatibility issues?

Forget the adapter just look for pci express x1 cards
I just did on Google, they are for sale

Here's another pic ;)

Forget the adapter just look for pci express x1 cards
I just did on Google, they are for sale

Here's another pic ;)

I agree with kim, just buy a pcix1 card, I'm guessing you're looking into it because you cant currently afford an upgrade to a new mobo, and that's fine. But dont hender yourself buying an adaptor to pci e 16, when it wont give you pci ex16 speeds.

Why buy a pciex1 card, when you find a powerful pci video card?
pciex1 cards are limited and also when you use the new pci cards, they enable the 2.5gb speed from the pcie 1 card because of the special bridge.

What games are you playing or looking to play jrpaz16 ?

And yet you're missing the whole point.

I could argue the point: Why use a pci card when you can use a pci E card, but that would leave us at square 1.

Well with his rig which is kinda like mine, i will just use pci cards, grab a evga 8400gs and be happy. Unless he wants to go the route of buying the add on and maybe buying a visiontek 4670 with gddr3 memory in pci x16

A PCI-E x1 card will be better suited. The adapter is pointless since, as supersmashbrada stated, it will still limit your PCI-E x16 card to x1 speeds, effectively rendering it useless.

And I would not recommend a PCI card because of the extremely limited bandwidth. PCI-E x1 is a much better choice for that reason, among others.

The best option in my opinion is to get the x1 to x16 slot adapter, so you can use regular cards (at reduced speed, but better than pci) and not have to spend for pricey cards designed for pci or pci-e x1 slots. Or you could mod your x1 slot like I did to allow x16 cards to be inserted.

Is there a pci express x1 card that will let me play Oblivion and Fallout 3 on around medium settings with no or little lag. A lot of websites keep sending me to x16 cards when I look for x1 cards.

The last time i check, pciex1 cards are very limited. Newer pci cards use a special bridge to enable the same speed as pciex1 cards, robert from albatron told me that, they have a 8600gt pci. I am using the newer pci cards , such as the HD2400 and BFG 8400GS. take a look at this:

Seems to be using the same speed as pciex1

You can buy a evga 8400gs or even the 8500gt or one of the 9 series pci cards. I have not played oblivion or fallout 3 so i can't speak directly on it. However, i guess you can always try things out to see.

Buy the x16 slot adapter, and buy a good pciex16 card or buy a decent pci card. I am a real pci gamer, so i plan to use pci cards forever, however i do plan to buy that x16 slot adapter and buy a 4670 card in the future

....however i do plan to buy that x16 slot adapter and buy a 4670 card in the future
Is there such a thing as a low profile 4670? Just asking.

Maybe you guys don't know what type of dell 210l i have, but i have the book edition, and i remove that blue piece, so i have extra room , so i pretty much can use alot of different cards in it now. My 2400hd is low profile, but i had to remove the vga + ribbon to put it in, so i use a vga dvi adaptor.
My 8400gs wouldn't fit at all, so removing that blue piece help out alot.

I am not too sure how big the 4670 is, but i am buying the diamond version:

http://www.diamondmm.com/images/materials/new/46701G_product_image.gif

So by me adding that x16 bridge, it will stand above my desktop, so i can just sit the thing right on top of the bridge and be alright. My dell cover is not on, so my desktop is laying down on 2 phone books , so pretty much any card will work in it.

I may have to upgrade my PSU from 220 to maybe 400 tho.

Okay, this may not be related, but it is a video problem. On another pc that I'm using the resolution is stuck at the lowest.(640x480 I think) I just put a geforce 6600gt agp in and every time I try to change the resolution it just stays at 640x480. Does anyone know of a way to fix this?

@ Tha General. It's not so much the size of the card that is the issue. The point I was making was if you are planning to use the PCI-E x1 to PCI-E x16 adapter for the Radeon 4670, the card has to be a low profile version due to the offset of the adapter. If the 4670 doesn't come in a low profile version, it won't work.

jrpaz6, even Windows generic graphics driver allows you to change the resolution to better than 640x480. What kind of monitor are you using?

I'm using a 17 inch dell monitor. The max resolution 1280x1024. I usually kept the resolution at 1024x768, but every time I try to change the resolution, it just stays at 640x480. It's only happened since I put the geforce 6600gt in.

That must be an LCD flat panel. What graphics card did you have installed before? Try going to Add and Remove Programs in the Control Panel and uninstall any graphics drivers you find, including ATI if you had one of those before. Restart the PC and then reinstall the latest Nvidia graphics driver (which you already have).

I actually have a crt monitor. I'll try reinstalling the drivers

The odd thing, is that it can switch resolutions just fine in games. It just won't switch in on the windows desktop.

Okay, this may not be related, but it is a video problem. On another pc that I'm using the resolution is stuck at the lowest.(640x480 I think) I just put a geforce 6600gt agp in and every time I try to change the resolution it just stays at 640x480.

Confirm Bios Settings (usually pressing DEL at system startup to see this menu) is set for AGP

Also try this:

Here's Driver Sweeper in case you need to remove drivers too ;)

What can it be used for ?
The current supported drivers are NVIDIA (Display and Chipset), ATI (Display), Creative (Sound) Realtek (Sound), Ageia (PhysX) and Microsoft (Mouse).
Restart

And load the most up to date drivers for your AGP again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back