TechSpot

PCI Express x1?

By Z@X
Sep 2, 2006
  1. I recently got a new dell dimension e310 desktop and i found a small black slot over my 2 pci slots. Sombody did some research for me and found out it was a pci express x1 slot. Is this true, and can i put a graphics card in it?

2. johnmayo

johnmayo Banned Posts: 61

they make some graphics cards for pci-ex1

3. GeekieNick101

GeekieNick101 TS Rookie Posts: 373

I have an e310 as well and yes its an x1 pci express port and yes I tihnk they do make some cards for them but I upgraded my video card but I used nvidia geforce 5500 fx 256mb oc pci card so yeah I tihnk the highest they have pci-e x1 is 64mb? I think and certian cards higher above your going to have ower supply issues yes It says you need a 250w p/s for the 5500 but you have a 230w p/s but it doesnt matter i'm using one now dont worry it works and make sure you disable your intergrated video.

4. Z@X

Z@X TS Rookie Topic Starter

I have the nvidia geforce 5500 fx 256mb too but i thought they made better ones for pci express x1 guess not

5. johnmayo

6. F1N3ST

F1N3ST TS Rookie Posts: 596

Thats 128mb the other memory is "Hypermemory" which is taken from your RAM, and sucks wang lol. 512MB HyperMemory with 128MB Onboard

7. GeekieNick101

GeekieNick101 TS Rookie Posts: 373

Well ok I'm sorry i'm wrong they just must of came out with these. But its not from Nvidia its ATI but it even states: Power supply of 350 (and up) watt is highly recommended for system stability and the e310 has a 230w power supply

8. cfitzarl

cfitzarl TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,975   +9

Yes, there are some graphic card for the pci-express x1 slot, although they tend to be very expensive, and do not have much more power than the agp 8x slot. If you have an agp 8x slot, I would get a card for that over the pci-e x1.

9. wolfram

wolfram TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,967   +9

And PCI-E X1 is slower than AGP 4X/8X, about 500MB/s

10. johnmayo

Then what's the point of a PCI-Ex1??

11. wolfram

wolfram TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,967   +9

It's almost useless. It's really hard to find a PCI-E X1 card. Maybe in the future, network and sound cards will use that slot.

It is meant to replace coventional PCI some day...

12. johnmayo

Thank's for that info..

13. cfitzarl

cfitzarl TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,975   +9

Oh, and also on newegg, they only list one card, in which, you could get the agp 8x equivalent for the same price. The problem is that it's a lower end radeon (X1300) (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814161017), and the mem is only 64-bit, and is hyper memory as well (128mb onboard with a 512mb card).

EDIT:
    I just looked online and the E310 Only has pci-slots, and a pci-x x1 slot. So it looks like you are stuck with the pci-x unless you want to get the top of the line pci card, which is less powerful than the pci-x x1 cards.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.