PCI graphics card for Dell Dimension 3000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, hopefully someone here can help me! I've recently bought a new monitor, dell S2309W, but unfortunately I can't get the resolution on my computer so I'm stuck with a super stretched screen. Pretty annoying. After looking through lots of forums and the dell site it seems I might just need a new graphics card as the inbuilt one possibly can't support the required resolution (1920x1080), I'm stuck on 1280x1024 which is the maximum. I've found out the computer, a dell dimension 3000, only has PCI slots, no PCI-E or AGP, so I'm quite limited on what graphics card I can get.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what will fix my monitor resolution problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers.

Thanks for replying guys. I don't use my PC for games so I'm not worried about that, just need it to be able to support the required resolution, will either of those two do the job?

Thanks for replying guys. I don't use my PC for games so I'm not worried about that, just need it to be able to support the required resolution, will either of those two do the job?
Yes, and are low in power requirements, so it should work out.

Newegg.com is an excellent site or "Eggcellent" as they say. You don't need anything more than the 8400GS if you don't game.

Both those cards come in PCI-e but are also available for PCI only.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions, I'll be making a purchase in the next few days!

Is the best way to disable the built in graphics to do it from within device manager in Windows or on startup in the BIOS setup?

I think when I installed the ATI drivers, it overrode the Intel Integrated Graphics automatically but you are using nVidia so you have to do it manually. You should go into both. Use Driver Cleaner Pro anytime you change drivers as well.

Oh if that is the case, just buy a cheap 8400gs, the evga version, i thought you were gaming on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back