PCIe flash: It solves lots of problems, but also makes a bunch - so what's its future?

By Julio Franco
May 14, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. It’s worth pointing out that almost all the "magic" that has been developed around flash was already scoped out in 2007. It just takes a while for a whole new industry to mature. Individual die capacity increased, meaning fewer die...

Read more
  2. Ravik

Ravik Newcomer, in training Posts: 44   +8

Very interesting...technical, but VERY intersting all-the-same. I've done digital audio production in the past, and can attest to the latency issues with storage. To an average consumer latency mostly affects their boot times and Crysis loads. But when you're trying to playback multiple sample libraries that are 4GB each, latencies can quickly become a taxation to the system. Unless your Hans Zimmer who can afford to have his libraries spread across multiple slave hosts and coordinated by a "master" system, the rest of the world has to find ways to compensate for the latencies that occur. Anything above 10ms is excruciating. 2-3ms is ideal since 0ms is unrealistic--but it just goes to show that storage technology could really use a kick in the pants in this area. Not just in the commercial sector, but also in the consumer sector.

PCIe storage sounds promising, so I'd love to see what solutions emerge over the next 5-years.... :)
  3. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,081   +720

These SSDs have a future in servers and workstations because of the high bandwidth. The issue is really price. A consumer PCIe SSD from OCZ is priced at more than $2/GB.
  4. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TechSpot Guru Posts: 802   +87

I bought the one of the first PCIe 16x SSD cards for $1000 back 3 - 4 years ago. It either had 256 or 512GB storage but it never worked right and wouldn't fit alongside a graphics card because the top and bottom was too big. Basically I broke it trying to fit it in...

Anyway... how does this solution compare with enterprise level SSDs running on SATA3 interface?
  5. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,081   +720

SATA 3 limits read and write speeds to 500MB/s (I am probably mistaken here) while PCIe SSDs can reach >1000MB/s.
  6. Zeromus

Zeromus TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 230   +7

Ha, I love the audio-producer perspective.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.