TechSpot

PCs no longer responsible for majority share of DRAM market

By Shawn Knight
Sep 17, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Information released by IHS iSuppli reveals that personal computers are no longer responsible for the majority demand of DRAM memory chips. In the second quarter, only 49 percent of all DRAM chips manufactured were used to build new PCs -...

Read more

2. Dukenukemx

Dukenukemx TS Member Posts: 71   +16

Though I wonder if that DRAM chips are also counting as storage. PCs mostly use hard drives, but tablets and smart phones use flash memory.

There's also the fact that everyone has a PC, but not a tablet. The need to upgrade the ram, let alone the PC itself is less needed.

3. The entire premise of this article is flawed. What is true is that PCs accounted for less than 50% of the total market.

What is true is that tablets hold <3%, mobile phone ~15%, everything else not a PC holds 33% and PCs hold 49%.

So in fact, not only do PCs account for the greatest portion of DRAM usage, it's by over 50% more than the next highest product category, which is 'other'.

4. And I dont understand tablets..and I dream at 16 gb ram...

5. Guest, I don't think you understand what "majority share" means. Greatest proportion != majority share.