Pebble Review: Kickstarter's E-Paper Smartwatch

By Julio Franco
Feb 26, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,159   +67

It's a nice concept, but even 4+ days is too little. Even the advertised 7 days is too little IMO. Normal watches last years on a battery.
  2. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Evangelist Posts: 811   +93

I'm sure it was done to protect the delicate display, but having the e-ink recessed under the plastic defeats the awesome way e-ink changes the color of the surface. It also makes it harder to read from an angle. E-ink shouldn't have these issues.

And it needs some level of touch input. Why not just op for an iPod Nano 6th Gen with any wrist-band accessory?
  3. newtheaterworks

newtheaterworks TS Rookie

I see the Pebble as a pretty good V1 product. Future models could benefit from a metal/stainless steel case and solar battery recharging. I was a Kickstarter backer and looking forward to getting mine.

The SDK may have been available to some preferred partners. But, most of us are still waiting for a public release. Unique apps will be a key to the success of the Pebble.
  4. p51d007

p51d007 TS Evangelist Posts: 859   +353

I've worn a traditional watch for over 40 years. I can't see a lot of interest in new watches (unless they are "smart").
    The problem I have with watches today, is I need a cheap digital, and 3/4 of them have those stupid "plastic/rubber"
    bands. I prefer a METAL band. I see these watches have those irritating plastic/rubber/resin bands too.
  5. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,383   +105

Watches getting to the point of being passed over for smart gear we all have today. Cell Phone has it's own Clock and Weather on it. NAVI/Media System in your SUV, CUV, Car, Truck etc.. Don't see wearing a watch again for now.
  6. I think these Pebbles are a very cool idea but I'm going to hold off getting one until they get a bit "prettier".

On the battery life issue, yeah they "only" last 7 days max but this is V1. V2 could have solar powered option (like newtheaterworks said) or even a kinetic energy recovery unit like what charges my self-winding automatics, except hooked up to a generator instead of a coil spring.

I would assume the band can come off and you can put whatever 22 mm band on it you want. It's a simple process you or a jeweler can perform. I personally prefer leather bands and I would switch it if I got a watch I like that doesn't have a great band.
    The band is replaceable. Under Key specs, "Replaceable 22mm watch bands".

All in all, I can't wait to see what interesting designs this segment starts to produce.
  7. Help me understand why I would want a watch that I MUST have my phone with me to make it work??

Plus my smartphone already does all of these things pebble does.....?!?!?
  8. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,526   +830

You know, I find it much easier to glance at the watch on my wrist rather than pull out my phone to check the time, especially in the middle of school/work.
  9. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 2,920   +627

I still don't see the problem. Seiko, listen up. Use your Kinetic method, beef it up, add a screen. Bam, smartwatch that lasts 'forever'.
  10. Kommentz

Kommentz TS Rookie

Ya'll are talking about the wrong battery life. Turning on bluetooth for any extended period is a major battery drain on the phones, Android more so than iPhone.

This might appeal to kids but NOBODY over 34 years old is going to get a watch to tell them who just SMS'd them.

Unless this watch or Apple's in the future gets me laid via NFC or peer-to-peer apps, this is a product category is destined for failure.
  11. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,340   +1,938

I can see a lot of people thinking & saying "this is the coolest thing since ice cream" but I think I'll ignore this tech.
  12. I'm over 34 and just got a Pebble.
    Your life motto of "Generalizations are a real time-saver" is plain wrong. Just sayin'.