Pentagon accuses China of trying to hack US defense networks

Jesse

pentagon chinese china hacking

Accusations of cyber-attacks allegedly perpetrated by China have been floating around for years, but today, for the first time, the Pentagon is directly accusing the Chinese of trying to break into US defense computer networks.

The Pentagon presented its annual report on Chinese military developments to Congress, entitled “Military and Security Developments Involving the People’s Republic of China 2013” [PDF], in which it cited serious concerns about China’s cybersnooping, stating that the "skills required for these intrusions are similar to those necessary to conduct computer network attacks."

China immediately dismissed the report as groundless. A spokeswoman from the Chinese foreign ministry responded to the accusations, saying that the US defense department has repeatedly “made irresponsible comments about China’s normal and justified defense buildup and hyped up the so-called China military threat.”

Several cases of network breaches attributed to Chinese hackers have been reported in recent months, including high-profile attacks on The New York Times that they say lasted approximately four months.

The attacks on news agencies were largely perceived as political and targeted journalists who were running stories about Chinese government officials. In contrast, in this report The Pentagon is warning that China is persistently carrying out attacks on the US in an effort to extract information from "diplomatic, economic and defense industrial base sectors that support U.S. national defense programs."

The information culled from US defense networks is likely being used to bolster China’s own defense industry, the report said. They also warn that China is not limiting their scope to just government targets, but also acquiring data and intellectual property from the private sector.

"China continues to leverage foreign investments, commercial joint ventures, academic exchanges, the experience of repatriated Chinese students and researchers, and state sponsored industrial and technical espionage to increase the level of technologies and expertise available to support military research, development, and acquisition," the report said.

Cyber-espionage and cyber-attacks are an increasingly prominent threat. Earlier this year it was revealed that the Pentagon was increasing its cyber-defense personnel fivefold, from roughly 900 to 4,900 over the next several years.

Permalink to story.

Am I too late with the idea of Iron Dome Mobile for iPhone?

I'm thinking features... a) Allow friendly missiles through; b) Reverse polarity, to deflect own missiles;

The information culled from US defense networks is likely being used to bolster China?s own defense industry, the report said. They also warn that China is not limiting their scope to just government targets, but also acquiring data and intellectual property from the private sector.

This is a very real problem. A couple weeks ago a Chinese student here in Wisconsin was busted trying to steal research at a medical facility to bring it back to China. They will be attacking US intellectual property on all fronts.

China is built on communism, which is a system of government that does not reward innovation or ideas. Therefore, China doesn't produce many of their own and they rely on theft to stay on pace with the global marketplace. It's far easier to steal someone else's idea (along with blueprints and research) than to come up with your own. I'm glad the govt is devoting resources to stopping this.

And yet we still continue to trade with China and, in turn, reward them for their bad behavior. A better idea would be to give them the finger, pull out everything and bring it back to the US, Europe, and Japan. Oh wait, we can't do that because we still bow down to the Corporate pigs that put us in this mess to begin with.

And yet we still continue to trade with China and, in turn, reward them for their bad behavior. A better idea would be to give them the finger, pull out everything and bring it back to the US, Europe, and Japan. Oh wait, we can't do that because we still bow down to the Corporate pigs that put us in this mess to begin with.

You're welcome to go back to the stone age if you'd like, but I prefer my lifestyle. And that includes the 80% of EVERYTHING I use because its manufactured in China. We do business with China because it's good business. You want to ignore the world's second largest economy? Go find a deserted island, because that's what it will take.

The US needs to drastically reduce the amount of trade it does with China. I'm disgusted by China's actions and the fact that nobody says or does anything because we rely on them so much.

They have no regards to copyright laws.
Anti-whaling laws? F*ck that says China.
Global warming? Eh we'll just keep dumping this smoke into the air.
Over population? We'll just export our people to the U.S.

Quote "China is built on communism, which is a system of government that does not reward innovation or ideas."

No offence, but this statement is misguided.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Chinese_inventions

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ciocent...ina-pass-the-u-s-as-the-worlds-top-ip-market/

I think you misunderstood the comment. Plenty of great ideas have come out of China over the years.... and that's thousands of years. But in recent times (like the last 50-70 years) communism is not designed to be a system of govt that rewards the innovators. That's not to say there won't be innovations, only that the people who think of them won't be rewarded because in communism everything you produce belongs to the government. Therefore, if you can't get rewarded (either by money, awards, personal satisfaction), there's no incentive to produce. Being rewarded for your work will lead to more hard work. I'd say it's human nature, but it works for animals too.

We don't really need to argue about the philosophy of it because this story is about the overwhelming evidence that it's happening. Here's the story I referenced before. We can't dispute this is happening when it's so easy to find examples of it. http://www.jsonline.com/news/crime/...ng-anticancer-compound-ls9cnn4-200958961.html

The report from the World Intellectual Property Office declared China’s State Intellectual Property Office the largest patent office in the world in terms of the number of applications received (526,412 in 2011, compared to 503,582 applications filed at the USPTO
---
Whaling is a problem in japan, not so much china.
---
In terms of total emissions, China is the largest producer of carbon dioxide emissions, followed by the United States.

However, China is well down the list in terms of emissions per head of population and on this measure, Australia is believed to be the biggest contributor, with the United States close behind.
---
The Chinese worked in mines, swamps, construction and in factories, which could be life threatening and not easy to accomplish, many jobs that the Caucasians did not want to do was left to the Chinese, They built most of the railroads across the us, and showed how to turn unusable land in to fertile growing areas.

In a late 1980s study, economists overwhelmingly viewed immigration, including illegal immigration, as a positive for the economy.[87] According to James Smith, a senior economist at Santa Monica-based RAND Corporation and lead author of theUnited States National Research Council's study"The New Americans: Economic, Demographic, and Fiscal Effects of Immigration", immigrants contribute as much as $10 billion to the U.S. economy each year.

I'm pretty sure China is funding most of that public research indirectly through bonds and other business jargon. So wouldn't that mean they are just getting what is rightfully theirs? I'm not saying I agree with the methods they use, but the US needs to think about who we get intertwined financially with because, "You are the company you keep." Typical asshat businessmen thinking of the bottom line as opposed to practical logistics.

I think you misunderstood the comment. Plenty of great ideas have come out of China over the years.... and that's thousands of years. But in recent times (like the last 50-70 years) communism is not designed to be a system of govt that rewards the innovators. That's not to say there won't be innovations, only that the people who think of them won't be rewarded because in communism everything you produce belongs to the government. Therefore, if you can't get rewarded (either by money, awards, personal satisfaction), there's no incentive to produce. Being rewarded for your work will lead to more hard work. I'd say it's human nature, but it works for animals too.

We don't really need to argue about the philosophy of it because this story is about the overwhelming evidence that it's happening. Here's the story I referenced before. We can't dispute this is happening when it's so easy to find examples of it. http://www.jsonline.com/news/crime/...ng-anticancer-compound-ls9cnn4-200958961.html

Us westerners did the same to africa back in the day, theres no point in crying when it happens to us now.

I'm pretty sure China is funding most of that public research indirectly through bonds and other business jargon. So wouldn't that mean they are just getting what is rightfully theirs? I'm not saying I agree with the methods they use, but the US needs to think about who we get intertwined financially with because, "You are the company you keep." Typical asshat businessmen thinking of the bottom line as opposed to practical logistics.

Yeah, you're right... so if I come home tonight and find someone stealing stuff out of my house and he tells me it's 'rightfully his' because he works for the bank who has my mortgage (which I haven't missed any payments on) then I can just be cool with that?

Or is that my fault because I did business with that bank and 'I am the company I keep'.

And fimbles, the US hacked into African (that's a continent you know, not a country) servers and stole intellectual property. And that happened 'back in the day', like years ago or what?

I guess it's sort of my fault that this thread devolved so far... sorry to anyone else reading it. :) I'll go hang out in another story now.

MilwaukeeMike

I was referring to the fact most " capitalist" countries, mine included, stole most of africas wealth and resources to get where we are at today.

Theres no moral high ground here as far as I can see. Blame capitalism not china.

And the US government hacks the world. What goes around comes around in the world of information.

And the US government hacks the world. What goes around comes around in the world of information.

So true Guest, whoever you are.

I think it's so pathetic how the americans complain about this endlessly, when they're

no better themselves.

Yeah, you're right... so if I come home tonight and find someone stealing stuff out of my house and he tells me it's 'rightfully his' because he works for the bank who has my mortgage (which I haven't missed any payments on) then I can just be cool with that?

Or is that my fault because I did business with that bank and 'I am the company I keep'.

And fimbles, the US hacked into African (that's a continent you know, not a country) servers and stole intellectual property. And that happened 'back in the day', like years ago or what?

I guess it's sort of my fault that this thread devolved so far... sorry to anyone else reading it. :) I'll go hang out in another story now.
No but if you don't pay the loan shark he comes for your knee caps.

I was referring to the fact most " capitalist" countries, mine included, stole most of africas wealth and resources to get where we are at today.
Theres no moral high ground here as far as I can see. Blame capitalism not china.

I have no Idea where this is even coming from? What wealth and resources were just stolen? Do you think we just walked into Africa with guns blaring and took their stuff? No, it was nothing more than business transactions. Its not our fault if the African continent is in the shape it is in. This stems from corrupt and evil governments with people in Africa that support them. One thing you liberal kids need to understand is that the real world is filled with people and places that are inherently evil. You cant hope to fix everything with hugs and rainbows. Every western country needs oil and other resources to support its economy. Africa has these resources. We have gone in and with permission from the governments, purchased and extracted these resources. Is it our fault that their government is corrupt and slaughters their own people? Do we force these Africans to mine for diamonds? No, their own people do. This has been going on for 1000s of years. And is the reason most of that continent lives in the stone age. The only thing you can blame capitalism for is your comfortable lifestyle, and the ability to say that you live in the richest most powerful nation in all of mankind's history. And if you feel any different, I hear North Korea is nice this time of year. Move there.

Back