Pentium 2's and SATA

By broady81
Jul 24, 2005
  1. I currently have an ancient Pentium 2 Server System, but would like a little more diske capacity rather than using SCSI. I have found a SATA PCI card, and would like to know if I would be able use the SATA drives to full potential with my current Setup ? ( by the way, Nice Forum ! )
  2. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,569

ideally, you could, but given the computer's age i doubt it would be worth the money. the big issue is that older operating systems (95/98/Me/NT) do nto support sata and you'll have to use windows xp/2k or an appropriate linux distro. and then that's be pretty slow, given the aged cpu and subsystems. then you've got ram to worry about...
  3. broady81

broady81 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I'm running CentOS and have 1 GB of PC100 ECC RAM. I;m thinking about upgrading to the highest Pentium the Motherboard will take, a Pentium 3 600Mhz. Does this help ?
  4. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,569

whoa, what kind of motherboard is this? what chipset? spending money on a machine that old is an unwise move, as fast amd sempron boxes can be put together all-new for around $250 (USD) a box.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.