TechSpot

Pentium 4 quad core Mobo?

By spatz449
Apr 28, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm about to upgrade or buy a new computer. All of my friends at my school were issued the same Dell 4 years ago, so i could easilly scavange parts when they throw them out.

Is it possible/economical to buy a quad core mobo and use pentium 4 3.4GHz in them? I have 4GB DDR2 Ram, so i would like to reuse that. Would like a new video card and to keep my DVD burner. I have a 1TB SATA hard drive, so that's good also. I don't want to make too many components not compatable with my new mobo.

Is it worth using multiple 'free' pentium 4 processers, or should i man up and buy a real processer?

Can any body help me pinpoint other concerns that i would need to address, and help me answer them?

Thanks!!!
  2. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,310   +265

You're not going to be able to stick multiple P4 processors in a Quad Core motherboard - that's not what quadcore actually means. On a motherboard that supports a quad core processor there is only 1 actual socket for the processor - that processor itself has the four cores within it. If it's one of the higher end server class or almost server class motherboards then it might have 2 sockets for 2 quad core processors.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.