Pentium D processors

Status
Not open for further replies.

GThomp6654

Would a Pentium D processor be able to make full use of Vista 64bit, or would it just be a waste of cash to upgrade to a 64bit O/S?

with the setup u have, I would say all is pretty old for Vista. that is not to say it would not work but would be slow.

Its not really the processor that would benefit from a 64bit OS, its the amount of RAM you can run.

In any case, I wouldn't recommend upgrading to a Pentium D at this date (perhaps a couple years ago).

Ah, its not that bad. Its basically 2 Pentium 4s on one processor. Its just that the Core series are just THAT much better.

Is there something you need that only Vista 64bit can give you?

not really, but I wasn't sure if I was gonig to upgrade then I should upgrade to Vista 64, so I can spend more money on more ram

Pentium D is fine, but you don't really need VISTA 64... and it would be trouble for you.
Stick with VISTA with LOTS of memory... max it out... or use Windows XP Professional.
You should never use VISTA or XP 64 unless you know excactly why you need to use it.

CPUs, Now Available as a Suppository.........

OK, let's be realistic. A Pent D is compatible with some older motherboards that one of the newer Core2, or the new line of Pentium dual core CPUs (E2XXX series) might not be. Face it, there are guys using PCI video cards because it's what they have to use, and it's not altogether fair to knock it, at least not unless you're ready to buy them another computer.

Sometimes when I'm caught in a bind, or if I feel I've been forced to pay more than I should for something but had no other alternative, I shout out, for the benefit of my mental health, and the pure annoyance of thyose around me, "OWWW my A**"!

not really, but I wasn't sure if I was gonig to upgrade then I should upgrade to Vista 64, so I can spend more money on more ram

Dude, this is just what the world doesn't need, another excuse to spend more money on a computer. In any machine you have, XP with 2GB of memory is probably plenty. The only reason to go with a 64 bit OS would be if you were using high end software to render video. Even then, XP is the better OS for your computer. There are a lot of myths around the amount of RAM any given person needs. But remember this, more RAM won't make your computer faster, all it will do is prevent it from slowing down from not having enough. If your machine is not writing temp files in any quantity while you're working, then the amount of RAM in the box is sufficient for your needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back