TechSpot

Pentium D vs Core Duo

By mofo91105
Sep 3, 2006
  1. Hello to all,

I am in the process of putting a new rig together and I remember months back the introduction of the Pentium D, but now I see the Core Duo. I know that they are both supposed to be dual core, but what is the difference between them? I see a big difference in price so I am just wondering if I shoud spend big on the Core Duo or settle for the Pentium D? I appreciate your input as always.

2. F1N3ST

F1N3ST TS Rookie Posts: 1,088

Core 2 Duo>Pentium D by a long shot.

3. GeekieNick101

GeekieNick101 TS Rookie Posts: 524

I'm not 100% sure but I thik one of the big differences between dual core and core duo is dual core uses more power than the core duo

4. korrupt

korrupt TS Rookie Posts: 1,060

Core 2 duo absolutely rapes pentium d. Ever the e6300 will own the top of the range Pentium D.

Regards,

Korrupt

5. wolfram

wolfram TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,605   +9

As korrupt said, the "slowest" Core 2 duo kills a PD 950 easily. It's amazing how a 1.8 GHZ CPU kills a 3.0+ GHZ CPU :eek:

6. Superinc

Superinc TS Rookie Posts: 106

Core 2 duo plain out better.

I would put money on the conroe !

7. KingCody

KingCody TS Guru Posts: 1,568   +7

Hi mofo,

you asked about "Core Duo" (which is not related to the "Core 2 Duo"). perhaps it was a typo, but I'll assume it wasn't because you wrote it 3 times.

The Pentium-D is the newer version of the Pentium-4 lineup. it uses socket-775 (for desktop PC's only)

The Core Duo is the newer version of the Pentium-M lineup. it uses socket-479 (for Notebook PC's only, with the exception of an aftermarket socket-479 desktop board/adapter from Asus)

The Core 2 Duo is Intel's newest and fastest processor lineup. they are currently the most powerful desktop processors available. they use the same socket-775 as the Pentium-D, but only certain motherboards/chipsets support them.

Cheers :wave:

8. korrupt

korrupt TS Rookie Posts: 1,060

Thanks KingCody for noticing this. Although I assume he just wasnt aware of the differences between core 2 duo and core duo.

Perhaps if he takes the time to post back, he'll clarify this for us:)

Regards,

Korrupt

9. Phillip U.

Phillip U. TS Rookie

How 'bout giving the low-down on all three type?

I too am interested in understanding the performance differences between "Dual Core", "Core Duo" and "Core 2 Duo". I am aware of some of the technical differences, e.g. manufacturing, 32bit vs. 64bit, faster FSB, etc. But what does that mean in the real world? I looked on Tom's and Anandtech and couldn't find a simple answer.

So, for a non-gamer home user - i.e. assume light to moderate photo and video editing, CD ripping and CD/DVD burning - what are the relative performance marks for Pentium D 3GHz, Core Duo 2.0 GHz and Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz? I'm just throwing out those speeds because they're more affordable than the maxed-out chips.

10. LipsOfVenom

LipsOfVenom TS Rookie Posts: 256

In the real world, the Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz will render videos and rip DVDs faster than the 3 GHz Pentium D as well as the Core Duo. The Core duo is solely a notebook based processor, so it really doesn't even come close to Core 2 Duo, which is used in both notebooks as well as desktops. The Pentium D's were a morose attempt by intel, but the company redeemed itself with the Conroe series.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.