Permissions problem after upgrading to Windows 7 from Vista

beauty

I upgraded a machine running Vista to Windows 7. Now when I try to update some programs, like Adobe reader, the update fails because the installer does not have permission to access certain folders.

I have checked the permissions for these folders and everyone has access to them and can modify them, so I am not sure why the installers don't.

Any thoughts?

the problem is not limited to adobe - now I can't even add Microsoft Security Essentials.

What happened it looks like is that the owner of the c:windows folder was TrustedInstaller and I wasn't able to give everyone full control as I thought I had. So I took ownership of that folder. Now I think that removing TrustedInstaller is causing the problems so I will try keeping myself as the owner but adding TrustedInstaller as having full control permissions.

Try going to -user accounts,change user accounts-and set to "never notify".
--However,there may be some security consequences you may want to look in to.

Sorry,,,I have discovered that the suggestion above isn't likely to work.

You could look into the "TakeOwnership" program. Perhaps, it could help.

I have that program and it worked for all folders except the one's that were owned by TrustedInstaller.

I have been researching this and it is a problem for many windows 7 users. I wouldn't have messed with the permissions at all since it is not my computer, but adobe and other programs wouldn't install due to permissions issues.

Back