PFN list corrupt BSOD, please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

swisstonyholmes

Hi anyone who can help,

I have a PC which is giving me some grief with BSOD's it stated with PFN LIST CORRUPT BSOD with no apparent trigger mechanism just random BSOD's. Then different BSOD's with no error code but I do have copies of all mini dump files, but am not sure what I'm looking for really.

I have run memtest for 48hrs with no errors and the usual malware cleaning tools, I have the usual logs and reports from various cleaning guides, please ask should you require any more information.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Tony.

Hmmm, 0x4E: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT is probably the single strongest error code to indicate corrupted memory and with your symptoms of randomness it would indicate all the more so.

Give us your hardware specs ibcluding make and model of your motherboard and make and amount of RAM installed. In addition we need your OS and security software installed.

How to find and post your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post the five most recent dumps. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip; if you only have one or two you don’t need to zip them, just attach as is. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

Route 44,

We meet again! I was hoping you would help. You managed to assist me on another problem a while back with a successful result.

Ok here goes,

PC is a Packard Bell iStart 2311
AMD 2.1GHz Processor
Motherboard Identification Numbers MCP61PM-AM REV 1.0A
Windows Vista Home Premium
McAfee Virus Protection

2GB of RAM consisting of 4 x 512Mb sticks
2 x 512Mb PC2-4200U, I think this was the original
2 x 512Mb PC2-5300U Crucial, and this was the upgrade

I have attached the last 5 minidump's.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Mini051810-01.dmp
    135.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Mini052210-01.dmp
    135.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Mini060110-01.dmp
  • Mini060210-01.dmp
  • Mini060610-01.dmp
Two errors are 0x0000001A: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
This memory management error is usually hardware related.

Memory corruption was cited as the cause in both.

One is 0x4E and memory corruption was cited as the cause.

One is 0x00000019: BAD_POOL_HEADER
A pool header issue is a problem with Windows memory allocation. Device driver issues are probably the msot common, but this can have diverse causes including bad sectors or other disk write issues, and problems with some routers. These can also be caused by faullty. mismatched, or corrupted memory.

The McAfee driver mfehide.sys was cited as the cause.

The last error 0xF4 only cited a Windows driver but said the same McAfee driver was prevented from loading.

* At this point I doubt it is your McAfee. Often motherboards don't like 4x512 configurations (but my second one runs it right now). The fact that you have mismatched memory in speed that may be your issue. The motherboard will set the speed, et.al. to the slowest by default.

Try this: Run your 4200 alone. How is stability? Then switch out and in the same slots install your 5300. How is your stability? You may need to run it with 1 gig for awhile in order to test it properly. You may want to run Memtest again on each set.

Route 44,

Ok results so far,

The system is still BSODing with random errors like PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA and other random screens with no error messages but it creates a minidump file for viewing later which I will post if you require.

Or it stops the windows sidebar from running and it shuts down, then shuts down the root kit scanner I'm using to trigger the BSOD's failure.

I have run only the 4200 RAM as a pair in RAM slots 1 and 2 then moved them to slots 3 and 4 and I get BSOD.

I have run only the 5300 RAM as a pair in RAM slots 1 and 2 then moved them to slots 3 and 4 and I get BSOD.

I have run the 4200 and 5300 RAM singly and I get BSOD.

I'm now running MEMTEST86+ V4.10 on each pair to see if there are any errors. I will report back when my testing is complete.

Thanks.

Route 44,

Final results are in,

I have now completed many hours worth of testing using MEMTEST86+ V4.10 on each individual pair of RAM.

4200 RAM Passed 20 times with no errors to report.
5300 RAM Passed 20 times with no errors to report.

I have attached the latest minidump reports as the above testing seems inconclusive. I know that RAM can still be faulty even if it appears it passes MEMTEST86+ with no errors, but its most unlikley for both pairs to fail at once?

Maybe its a driver related problem as suggested in one of your previous posts.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Mini060710-01.dmp
    135.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Mini060810-01.dmp
    135.7 KB · Views: 1
Both are 0x8E errors but nothing definitive other than OS drivers.

For clarification:

1. When you run both sets of sticks by themselves in slots 1 and 2 you get BSODs, correct or not? What does your motherboard manual say the correct way to install RAM: Slots 1 and 2/3 and 4 or 1 and 3 or 2 and 4?

2. Have you checked the memory volatge in the BIOS? If so, what is it set at?

What is your 4200 memory designed voltage? For the 5300? How long has it been running in this 4x512 before these issues started?

Route 44,

I will answer as best as I can.

1. When you run both sets of sticks by themselves in slots 1 and 2 you get BSODs, correct or not?

Yes this is correct.

2. Have you checked the memory voltage in the BIOS? If so, what is it set at?

VDIMM monitored at 1.77V in the BIOS.

3. What is your 4200 memory designed voltage? For the 5300?

4200 I'm not sure but the manufacturers p/n is MT4HTF6464AY-53EE1
5300 again not sure but the p/n is MT4HTF6464AY-667G1

4. How long has it been running in this 4x512 before these issues started?

It has been running 4200 2 x 512 from new and has been upgraded within the last 4 months with the extra 5300 2 x 512 and has been within the last month the BSOD's have been happening.

Thanks.

Okay, try this: Download a simple but very effective and free utility called SIW (System Information for Windows). It will tell you not onlythe amount and type of RAM but 99% of the time it can tell you the manufactiure of said RAM.

We need to see what make your 4200 is. Also, can you link us to your Crucial 5300?

It still appears the motherboard doesn't like this configuration/combination especially by the fact you are getting BSODs but the memory itself shows no corruption.

Both sets of memory, if I have read correctly, are designed for 1.8v. But the VDIMM is monitored at 1.77V in the BIOS.

Bump that up manually to 1.8v.

Route 44,

Looking through the BIOS I can see no VDIMM voltage adjustment in any settings, can you please point me in the right direction or doesn’t my motherboard support this?

Also a VDIMM reading of 1.77V or 1.79V as its now reading is only a 30mV or 10mV respectively voltage change to 1.8V. Can adjusting this really make that much difference?

Thanks.

Yes, on your second question.

A lot of times motherboards set it at Auto. Look for something like this [AUTO]. Click that on and a list should be given of voltage options.

How old is this system?

Route 44,

As the system's not mine I would guess only a year or two old.

I have been through every option I can see but nothing stands out. The only thing I can adjust to do with the RAM is the "Timing Mode" set to auto or maxmemclk.

Sorry.

Absolutely no need to be sorry. You're doing excellent work and the PC isn't even yours! :D

Anyway, do you know what BIOS his system has?

Ah, Phoenix. let's see if I can guide you to the memory voltage via the BIOS.

1. Go to the main BIOS Page.

2. On the right hand of the screen find POWER BIOS Features. Enter.

3. In the next screen look for DIMM Voltage. What is it set at?

Route 44,

Sorry no POWER BIOS features option on the right only power management setup on the left. Attached is what I have.

Thanks

Attachments

• DSC00214.jpg
    DSC00214.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 7
Okay, I understand now why you have no POWER BIOS Features. Phoenix makes several versions and since this is a pre-built system many pre-built manufactures do not install a BIOS whereby your can overclock a system.

The Power Bios is designed to do overclocking. Your friend's PC is not. To be clear, you vfound no option to change the VDIMM, correct? Even though setting memory to the specified voltage design is the thing I wish we could get to it was running fine until recently.

Try setting the BIOS to Load Optimized settings.

Route 44,

That is correct I have found no option to change the VDIMM voltage level.

I have now loaded BIOS optimized settings I will run some more tests and will see how it goes.

Thanks.

Route 44,

I have now completed initial testing and I'm still getting BSOD when running my BSOD trigger program scanner GMER.EXE.

I have attached the latest minidump.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Mini061110-01.dmp
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back