TechSpot

Phenom II X4 920

By Gflo
Mar 8, 2009
  1. I'm looking to upgrade to this processor but I don't know if my psu could handle it.

I've got a Antec 500watt earthwatts psu

1 9800gtx+
    1 Asus M2n SLI
    1 200gb seagate barracuda 7200rpm
    4gb OCZ Special Ops 800mhz RAM
    An old ATI TV wonder VE(got it working with driver modded to X64=p)
    An old SB LIVE! value

I know the Phenom is a 125 watt processor but I don't know how much I'm currently using. I know the 9800gtx+ eats up power(2 6pin Pci-E connectors). SO will I be fine or will I need a new PSU?

Thanks,
    Gflo

2. fimbles

fimbles TS Evangelist Posts: 1,276   +153

3. redk

redk TS Rookie Posts: 135

You can get by with that PSU, however, it would be better if you went to the 650 Earthwatts asap.

4. Gflo

Gflo TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 105

Thanks guys, and according to that I can add another 9800gtx+ to my system with the Phenom II. Good news cause I was plannin on getting another for SLI.

Thanks,
    Gflo

5. Gflo

Gflo TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 105

Alright new problem.

I need to know if the Phenom II will work with my Mobo

M2n-Sli My mobo

Phenom II

Asus says my mobo supports Am2+ Processor but up to 2000 mt/s which I have no Idea what a mt/s is

The phenom says it has a 3600 mhz hyper transport which means nothing to me if I don't know what a mt/s is

Help please. Also if you could find any other incompatibilities it would be very apperciated

Thanks,
    Gflo

6. skanadian

skanadian TS Rookie

Sorry to revive & hijack this really old thread... I would have PM'd Gflo but I'm too new for that.

Gflo, you managed to get the ATI TV Wonder VE running under 64 bit? Your profile says Vista too. I've been trying for hours to get this card going under Vista. Can you zip up your work and send me a link, I'd be forver greatful.

Thank you in advance.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.