Phenom II X4 960T unlock to X6 help?

herbalfire

when i unlock the cores the bios doesnt recoginse the cpu i have updated the bios but still no change

Mostly AMD locks CPUs to cut on production costs, but sometimes they lock specific cores because they know they are defective. Try locking them again and see if it solves the problem.

OK, how would locking a perfectly good core, "cut production costs", if you don't mind me asking?

The manufacturers sometimes lock specific cores and sell them along with the single core models (like the Sempron). For example, a Phenom X4 with two faulty cores would be discarded. So, it is sent to be sold with two cores disabled (or "recycled" by their philosophy). So, without having to manufacture a new die for a Phenom X2, they disable the 2 logical cores of the X4 and sell it as an X2 at a lower price.

Unlocking cores is stupid. They're usually horribly unstable and offer no real performance increase.

Unlocking cores is stupid. They're usually horribly unstable and offer no real performance increase.

Yeah right...I have a Phenom II 555 that I have unlocked to run as a QuadCore (55B) and the "only little" performance difference is that now I'm able to play Mafia II, Fallout NV, Fallout 3, Skyrim (and some other games) with higher settings...plus my setup is 100% stable (minus some RAM issues that I have had)...
The only downside with unlocking cores is that the only way for me to monitor the core temps is by looking it up in the bios, but then again that's no biggie as long as it doesn't overheat.

Have you tried a "manual" unlock or an "automatic" unlock?

So let me get this straight you are saying that having 4 cores instead of two isn't better.
I had a X2 that unlocked to a x4 and i would say that i noticed a difference.

No offense, but are you new to overclocking? PC Nerd said 'unlocking', not adding cores. Cores which are disabled are usually faulty, and are therefore unstable when unlocked and used.

No offense, but are you new to overclocking? PC Nerd said 'unlocking', not adding cores. Cores which are disabled are usually faulty, and are therefore unstable when unlocked and used.

I have heard that several times but I really don't get it, why does people say that it's unstable if they don't have any own experience and if they have then they have only tested one CPU that has happened to be unstable. As I said I have unlocked my x2 to x4 and also overclocked it form 3.2GHz to 4GHz and the only stability issues that I have had has been thanks to RAM voltages.

"I have heard that several times but I really don't get it, why does people say that it's unstable if they don't have any own experience and if they have then they have only tested one CPU that has happened to be unstable. As I said I have unlocked my x2 to x4 and also overclocked it form 3.2GHz to 4GHz and the only stability issues that I have had has been thanks to RAM voltages"

I have had experience with unlocking cores, actually. Not a good one, at that.

Jesus christ! 1.616V? That's retarded. How is your chip not dead yet?

My Phenom 955 is at 3.8GHz at 1.375V and it's completely stable.

What do you think the OP is asking? Quote "
Phenom II X4 960T unlock to X6 help? "

You ask if i'm new to OC'ing,does getting a X4 970 to 4,5 ghz qualify me as not new or how about finding that the max GHZ my AMD X2550 would reach was 3,8ghz whether i ran it as a x2 or UNLOCKED the 2 extra cores to make it a x4 B50.
How about finding what my ram can do or my motherboard? Does any of that qualify me?

To herbalfire
When i unlocked my X3 720 it wouldn't boot into windows because the core on that cpu was faulty so i had to disable it.
If you can't get into windows then i think one or both of the cores are faulty.

X4 970 to 4,5 ghz

I'm pretty sure that isn't even possible. Phenoms struggle a 4GHz. They will never reach 4.7GHz.

You've either raised the voltage to ridiculous levels, or you just can't read properly. Because there is no way any Phenom chip is going to hit 4.7GHz.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 5
Firstly, that is 4.5GHz, not 4.7GHz.

Secondly, have you tried testing it to get an idea of the performance?

With my Phenom 955, it actually performed better at 3.8GHz than 4GHz. The performance started to decline past 3.9GHz, like it was throttling.

I never ran it 24\7,i wanted to see what the cpu could do.
Not once has any of my AMD's been throttled even on air which i have only used,they would just bsod on me if it wasn't stable.

What clock speed do you normally have it?

Mine could get 4.2GHz, but it involves so much more maintenance than leaving it at 3.8GHz.

Jesus christ! 1.616V? That's retarded. How is your chip not dead yet?

My Phenom 955 is at 3.8GHz at 1.375V and it's completely stable.

The vCore isn't accurate, I have been running it at 1.55v but when I overclocked the CPU I even took it up to 1.7 (max for the mobo) with no problems...not really the best thing to do but I just had to try it out ;P

Need I stress it any further? FYKI, I own a Sempron, which has a faulty second core (rejected Athlon, I can tell from the die signature 'Regor'), and my friend, also owning a Sempron, has a perfectly functional second core (same 'Regor', but obviously a leftover stockpile rather than a discarded one).

So instead of necro-bumping this thread, shall we have a mod lock it?

Back